AUTISM and Mattress... looking for safe, non toxic mattress for my 3 year old daughter with Autism

Hello, I am currently transitioning my 3 year old daughter from a crib to a big girl bed. She was recently diagnosed with autism and we have her on a strict protocol, trying to detox her little body and keep her healthy. I am looking for a safe mattress and have read that latex is the safest option, BUT I do not think its feasible for use right now due to the high price point and all of my daughters medical bills will not allow for that kind of purchase.

I found this on Amazon and was wondering if anyone could please guide me and let me know if this is a good purchase, a good quality product, is it safe to use for my daughter?

https://www.amazon.com/Roma-All-Latex-Mattress-Full/dp/B00H8VFC0M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441151473&sr=8-3&keywords=organic+latex+mattress+full

My head is spinning in circles trying to find the right option that we can actually afford… any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi DRBT,

You may have read this already but post #2 here and the topics it links to also has much more information about mattresses and children and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which also includes more information about many good options for children which may also be worth considering in a wide range of prices.

As you probably know already … SleepEZ is one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

The Roma contains a small amount of CertiPUR certified polyfoam in the quilting layers so it would depend on how you feel about polyfoam in general but it would certainly be “safe enough” by most people’s criteria. Other than that it contains 6" of 100% natural Dunlop latex and it’s certainly a good quality/value choice. If you order directly from SleepEZ then you would also be eligible for the discount/bonus that they provide to the forum members here (I’m not sure if they apply this to Amazon purchases).

If you are concerned about the polyfoam in the quilting then they also have another mattress called the Naturalé (you can see their specials here) which is also double sided with a different firmness on each side and has an extra inch of 100% natural Dunlop latex and has an organic cotton cover quilted with natural wool and doesn’t contain any polyfoam at all which may also be well worth considering.
ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sleepez.com/labor-day-sale.html

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you so much for replying to my post. I really appreciate it! Are you able to suggest any mattresses which are similar but may not have the toxic chemicals that I am trying to avoid? I don’t quite know what I am looking for exactly since this is my first time purchasing a mattress with so many different criteria. I am hoping to spend $800 or less, is this feasible? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi DRBT,

The Roma and the Naturalé both use foam foam materials that are certified for harmful substances and VOC’s (you can read more about "safety certifications in post #3 here) and by most people’s criteria they would both be “safe enough” so I really don’t know which materials or substances you are trying to avoid.

Any mattress that uses materials that you consider to be “safe enough for you” and that is in a medium to medium firm range would be suitable for your child and beyond that your choice would really be a matter of personal preferences and budget.

I’m not sure which size you are looking for (which would affect the price of the mattress) but the topics that are linked in the childrens reference post I linked and some of the SleepEZ mattresses that I linked in my previous reply include some good options that would be inside your budget range (again depending on the size you are looking for).

Phoenix

nestbedding also has a mattress you may wish to consider. It’s not 100% pure but it is latex and it’s Oeko-Tex Certified Latex. So you can be sure you’re getting a good product. Their twin size mattress falls within your price range. Sleepez is also excellent and their KISS mattress is on my short list.

Best of luck on your search. Sleepez is also an excellent company and you can’t go wrong with them either.

Hi mdgail,

I suspect that DRBT is probably trying to avoid polyfoam or other synthetic materials to some degree and both of the mattresses you mentioned contain much higher amounts of polyfoam and much lower amounts of latex (which is also either synthetic or blended) than the two mattresses that they were already looking at.

Phoenix

Hi DRBT,

I can relate to your challenges. My 8 year old granddaughter has autism caused by dup15q.
We bought her a twin xl, Healthy Kids Mattress by Berkeley Ergonomics. I believe it meets all the specifications you’re seeking. She sleeps well and healthy.
Urban Natural Furnishings ( a member at this site) offers the Healthy Kids Mattress. They don’t ship, but I am sure they can refer you to a nearby dealer that can service your area.

Best wishes to you and your special family.

Hi DRBT,
Such wonderful helpers here, and such caring people too!
I hear the Guy from SleepEZ is nice guy. Try calling him during the daytime, and explain what you looking for. He might have it or can direct you to what you want.

PapaMike understands, try what he says too!

My best to you Sincerely, Bunny

Hi Pheonix,

I think I am going to go with the Roma by SleepEZ. It is the only mattress on the greener side that fits in my price range. I was wondering if you could recommend a good mattress protector? I need something breathable, washable, and water-proof that is made of non-toxic, organic materials that are safe for my daughter with autism. What is your opinion on the wool protector from sleep=ez? I copied the description for you below below:

Wool Protector

The Sleep and Beyond wool protector contains 100% washable wool and 100% natural cotton percale (270 TC). The lining/skirt is waterproof polyester, with recyclable TPU.

It doesn’t say that it is organic and I am unsure if the materials in it are non-toxic. Do you have an suggestions for another brand? I am looking for a full size.

Thank you,
DRBT

Hi DRBT,

As you know I think very highly of SleepEZ and the Roma would certainly make a great quality/value choice and I would consider the materials it uses to be “safe enough” as long as you are comfortable with the CertiPUR certified polyfoam in the quilting.

There is more information about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some good sources for each of them in post #89 here that should be helpful.

The Sleep & Beyond mattress protector That SleepEZ sells uses natural cotton and natural wool and a waterproof membrane which I would also consider it to be “safe enough” even though it’s not organic.

Phoenix

Hi Phenoix,

Can you please give me some information about certi-pur certified polyfoam and why mother’s would be concerned about it being present in their childs mattress? What negative effects does it present with it is used in the mattress quilting? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Aside from the certi-pur, are the other materials used in the Roma non-toxic, green materials? Are there any other materials I should be concerned about or researching in the Roma?

Thank you,
DRBT

Hi DRBT,

[quote]Can you please give me some information about certi-pur certified polyfoam and why mother’s would be concerned about it being present in their childs mattress? What negative effects does it present with it is used in the mattress quilting? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Aside from the certi-pur, are the other materials used in the Roma non-toxic, green materials? Are there any other materials I should be concerned about or researching in the Roma?[/quote]

There is a lot more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” and that can help you decide on the type of materials and components you are most comfortable having in your mattress or on the certifications that may be important to you. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

There is also more about the different “safety” certifications (including CertiPur) in post #2 here.

I personally wouldn’t consider any of the materials in the Roma to be toxic or “unsafe” but these are all “best judgement” issues that each person needs to decide for themselves based on the personal, lifestyle and environmental criteria, beliefs and choices that are important to them because for each person that has one “well reasoned” and “researched” opinion you will find others that have a completely different opinion that is just as “well reasoned” and “researched”.

Phoenix