Avocado mattress? ... & Nest Bedding options

[quote=“Marshmallowforme” post=83805]
No they weren’t visible or measureable. You just felt them. We did fix them with rotation and flipping. But we were disappointed since the store said that latex would not get them.[/quote]

Were you able to determine whether the softening was in the core, or just the comfort layer?

I probably wouldn’t consider what you describe unreasonable after a few years, IF I can replace just the comfort and/or quilting layers … hence my insistence on modularity.

Our previous experience was that visible, measurable depressions with no load began to occur almost immediately, and became uncomfortable very quickly. This is already true of our Casper Wave Hybrid (1/8", and slowly deepening, at less than 2 months); and was particularly egregious in our previous Sealy Posturpedic.

Some softening after a few years is, to me, more understandable.

Hi! Sorry if you feel that we dont back up our products but we actually do. We have a life time warranty on our mattresses, not sure who else can claim that but I believe that is a pretty strong stance for backing up our products. Every company sets a limit to what is covered as a defect and ours is 1 inch. We have a great reputation for covering our products for our customers and we have thousands of positive reviews to show for it. Every company is going to have a slight difference in what is covered based on their understanding of their product. Good luck in your mattress search!

Greetings – Thanks, and I don’t doubt you! I’m simply pointing out that saying “body impressions shouldn’t happen” isn’t consistent with a warranty which won’t kick in until there’s a 1" crater. :slight_smile:

My focus has been on what is covered, not just for how long.

Again, this misalignment of words and warranties is not unique to Nest, and it is not my intention to point fingers.

mtu1912,
No we didn’t try to figure out which layer it was. We didn’t like the mattress because it never stopped smelling of latex so weren’t interested in working with it at that level. Some times the smell was stronger than others, for instance when the humidity was higher, but it was always there.

This past year we got adjustable beds so cut it in half and put new cases on the two twinxl mattresses. Then I decided to get new mattresses and entered this unreal world of trying to find a good, non-stinky, properly sized and as advertised mattress.

Currently we have settled with Naturepedic and are hoping that if we ever develop a problem with a layer we can sub it out and not have to ever buy new mattresses again.

Well, that’s unfortunate. I haven’t read of many people with that problem … hope we can avoid that. We have begun to turn down the bed every morning (a suggestion I first saw on Nest’s site, and have since seen on others), so maybe that will help.

I hear ya. This has been harder than buying a car. :pinch: I hope yours works out for you.

Hey mtu1912,

Thanks for the update.

[quote]We talked with several vendors from the list here at TMU, and I don’t have much of anything bad to say about any of them. There are some good people at these shops who seem to love what they do and are willing to provide lots of info.
[/quote]

Appreciate your support of the TMU trusted member program. We feel strongly that these particular mattress manufacturers/ retailers provide high quality products, excellent product value and responsive service support to their customers.

Congrats on your new mattress purchase :cheer: ! Happy to hear about your positive experience with expert trusted member Sleep EZ, sounds like their “custom configuration” option may be closer to a better solution for you.

[quote]I hope we can report back in a year or so that latex was everything we hoped it would be, and that our bed is still the same shape it was when we bought it!
[/quote]

Looking forward to updates mtu1912, whether it be a year or sooner…keep us posted :wink: .

Cheers,
Sensei

Can you comment on your experience with the model you have - medium I presume.

Has it gotten softer over time?

I’ve landed on the hybrid latex but I’m confused as to go with the medium or soft.

The soft felt better to me, but I have concerns it would get much softer over time.

[quote=“NestHaven” post=82654]Sure thing - sorry for the confusion. We originally had the former Hybrid Latex design last year (8" coil/Talalay latex). We tried a couple of latex swap-outs, in addition to needing to get the cover replaced. Again, Nest Bedding was great in working with us to try to get us situated. In the end, though, we couldn’t get that mattress to work. It was better than many of the other brands that we tried (Saatva, Intellibed, Leesa, Serta, Brentwood Home, etc.), but we were still experiencing pain in our shoulder & hip points.

Knowing our mattress struggles, we were given this new Hybrid Latex mattress (the 6" coil/Dunlop latex/quilted foam version) as a wedding gift from a family member who liked theirs, and it fixed the issues that we had been having with previous mattresses. For us, the 1.5lb quilting foam does a really nice job of easing the pressure on our joints when we sleep on our sides. We wouldn’t want anything denser, as then the mattress would likely become too stiff. It’s “just right” as it is now. The great thing is that there’s still plenty of support when we sleep on our backs or stomachs. And we haven’t had an issue with the mattress being too warm, either. It stays temperature neutral.

Again, it’s a really nice design. The other latex hybrids that we’d tried (the 8" coil/3" latex/cover types) were never quite comfortable on our shoulders & hips when sleeping on our sides. The Avocado mattress, for instance, felt like sleeping on a firm board.

So, needless to say, we’re very happy with our Hybrid Latex mattress from Nest. And after a solid 9 months of use, it’s holding up very well.[/quote]

Hi NestHaven. Which option do you have, medium, plush or firm?

We have the medium version (24 ILD Dunlop latex). We like it, and it continues to hold up well. When we got our mattress, the plush version was 14 ILD Dunlop latex, which was a little too soft - and we were also concerned about it becoming too soft/unsupportive over time.

I believe that Nest has since changed the latex up a bit - and that the Plush is closer to a 19 ILD, while the medium is now in the 27-28 ILD range.

For us, as lighter-weight side/back sleepers, we wouldn’t want anything firmer than our current 24 ILD. And honestly, if the 19 ILD were available when we got our mattress, we likely would have considered that.

Hope that helps, and please let me know if you have any other questions. Again, overall, our Nest mattress is holding up very well and is quite comfortable…

Hi NestHaven. Given the new ILD’s, would you recommend the medium or plush for side/back combo sleepers at 165/145 lbs? Thanks!

It’s a tough call. You may want to check with Nest to confirm the ILDs. I might slightly lean toward the plush, but I’d want to try it out in person first to confirm if possible. Worst-case scenario, if you get the plush and it’s too soft, you could likely work with Nest to swap out for the medium instead. Hope that helps…

I gave them a call and they suggested I go with medium, and I placed the order. Appreciate all your posts. How’d you end up with the ILD 24? Was it from the 8" spring version you originally had? Or was the new 6" spring originally 24 and now the “new new” is 27? The agent didn’t know.

We got the 24 ILD from their 2018/19 redesign (I believe with the 8" springs), which was the base medium for that version. I think they then changed to 27 ILD as the default medium sometime later in 2019. HOpe that helps, and all the best with your new mattress!

Hi. Slept on the mattress for the first time last night, it was much firmer than I was expecting and now I’m thinking I should have gone with the “plush” (but I was worried about my hips sinking too much). Woke up with some shoulder/arm soreness (on the other hand my back felt good). How significant is the softening up during the first 30 days in your opinion? Thanks again.

Sorry to hear about the soreness that you’re experiencing. Our mattress softened a little bit, but not a lot. We were concerned about it becoming too soft after a few years of regular use, though - as well as becoming too warm if we sank into the mattress too much.

It’s tricky because, again, we have the older 24 ILD medium. I think their current medium is closer to 28 ILD. And with the latex being Dunlop, that may be a bit too firm (as Dunlop tends to run firmer). You can give it a couple of weeks to see how your body adjusts, and then perhaps swap out for the plush foam instead (which I think is rated at 19 ILD). The trade-off, though, could be that the mattress sleeps a little warmer.

Another option, since the Nest mattress allows you to open it and swap out the latex, could be to go with Talalay latex instead (I might try something in the 22-24 ILD range). Nest doesn’t offer Talalay, so you’d likely be paying out of pocket for that. But I think you can get a decent 3" slab of Talalay latex for about $500 or so. That might be softer and a bit cooler, too. We’ve considered that on our end because our mattress is a touch firm (though still tolerable), and does sleep a little warm (especially in the summer).

Just some thoughts. Hope that helps, and please let me know if you need anything else. Again, too, you may need to give the mattress at least a couple of weeks for your body to adjust. Anything is likely to feel a bit too firm at first, given that it’s new.

Hi,

Thought I’d jump onto this thread since we’re unable to post new topics under general mattress questions right now. I’ve been shopping around for a new mattress for several weeks and have narrowed it down to a few options; I wonder if I could get some advice on quality of materials, support, and durability. I’m 5’ 5", 131 pounds, and primarily a back sleeper. I have some lower back ache so lumbar support is important. Occasionally, I sleep hot, so would prefer a temperature neutral bed. I prefer to sleep on top of the bed instead of sinking in.

Nest Natural Hybrid Latex in Firm - A good combination of firm support and contouring around my lower lumbar region. Would prefer closer contouring around the lower lumbar but understand that might not be possible with latex. I liked the springiness and responsiveness of the latex. I had asked Nest about the quilting and comfort foam but the CS agent didn’t have any additional info for me. I suspect it’s not an entirely latex mattress and that some of the foam is poly. I’m a little concerned about about the 16 gauge coil. Even though the coils aren’t the first thing to go, I believe 16 is at the thinner end and that support might weaken over time. The salesperson told me the mattress can last about 12 years because of the durability of latex.

.1" Organic Stretch Knit Cotton and Joma Wool
1.5" 1.5lb Eco Flex Quilting Foam
3" Oeko-tex Cert. Dunlop Latex 34ILD
1" 1.5LB Eco-Friendly Comfort Foam
6" Caliber Edge Coil Support Pocketed Coils 16 gauge steel
1" 1.5lb Support Foam

Alexander Signature Series Flippable - This mattress felt the best of the three, which is why I’m still considering it despite it being an all foam mattress. The medium side just felt really good around the lumbar region with great contouring. It felt very supportive and firm (being on top of the bed), but still offered some plushness because of the quilted top. Even though it’s memory foam, I didn’t feel like I was sinking in like I did with the Casper. I’ve never bought an all foam mattress so I have a lot of concerns. Will the bed trap heat? Will the foam soften too much over time and have indentations? I really liked how the mattress felt in the store; however, I worry that as the foam conforms after a few months, it’ll be too soft and I’ll start to sink in. I’m not sure if these issues would reveal themselves within the 100 day trial. I would say I liked the feel of this mattress a little more than the Natural Hybrid Latex. The salesperson said this mattress is expected to last 6-8 years and I would need to rotate it every few months. So durability seems to be less than a hybrid.

1" 15 ILD CoolFlow™ Plush Quilting Foam & Organic Cotton Cover
2" 3.5 lb. 10 ILD Gel Memory Foam
2" 1.5 lb. 24 ILD Transitional Foam polyfoam
7" 2 Ib. 30 ILD Luxury Firm Base Foam polyfoam

Parachute The Mattress - This mattress is new so there isn’t any information on durability. Also not a lot of independent reviews on it. It felt extremely supportive and is the firmest of the three (which I liked). I felt very properly aligned on the bed. There is a very good amount of contouring in the lumbar area considering the absence of foams, but slightly less than the Natural Hybrid Latex. It is also a very responsive mattress which I liked. I think this bed will keep the coolest since it’s made of natural fibers and has a coil on coil design. The outside of the bed felt very luxurious and the materials appeared to be very high quality. The price is much higher than the other two mattresses and there’s not a lot of material in the mattress. I’m worried that the two sheets of wool will compress over time and I’ll start to feel the microcoils. However, I do like the idea that bed is made only with natural fibers. The company is a startup that isn’t a dedicated bedding company and I’m a little worried it might go under while the mattress is under warranty. Although the CS agent assured me that in that case the factory they contract to make the mattresses would cover the warranty.

Cotton Cover: Quilted, 100% organic cotton
Wool Comfort Layer: Two sheets of pure New Zealand wool
Microcoils: Three tiers of tiny steel coils 16 - 19 gauge
Mid Wool Insulator Pad: A layer of sustainable, hypoallergenic, flame-resistant wool
Pocketed Coils: Soft and firm coils create comfort, stability, and support zones 13 - 17 gauge with firmer coils in the center for hip and back
Bottom Wool Insulator Pad: A layer of sustainable, hypoallergenic, flame-resistant wool protects the bed frame from the pocketed coils

Any additional information or experiences with these mattresses would be greatly appreciated. I tried out the Avocado, but felt that the foam was too springy and the feel too firm because of the tightness of the quilting. Though I would seriously consider their alpaca wool topper. I also like the Charles P Rogers Estate SE mattress, but the price point is a bit high and the salesperson at the store mistakenly told me the topper layer had microcoils, when later I found out through the website it didn’t. They aren’t very transparent about the materials in their beds.

Thanks for any additional info.

Jen

Hi PuckNYC! .

It looks like you’ve spent quite some time on our site as you seem to be heading in a good direction. With your preexisting lower back pain, I see why you are paying a bit more attention to selecting the support level you need without compromising comfort and how the bed is likely to keep its qualities over a longer period of time.

You’ve most likely come across many of the posts that discuss temperature and already know that layers that are closer to the top sleeping surface will have the greatest impact upon comfort and sleeping temperature (including any mattress pad, sheets, and linen). There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here.
Latex is the most breathable foam material and a good choice for those who tend to “sleep hot” but the ticking/quilting materials, mattress protector, and sheets and bedding can also have a big effect on temperature regulation in a mattress as well. There’s more about this in post #16 here.

[quote]Nest Natural Hybrid Latex in Firm - A good combination of firm support and contouring around my lower lumbar region. … I suspect it’s not an entirely latex mattress and that some of the foam is poly.
1" 1.5lb Support Foam[/quote]
Nest Bedding is one of our Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to be among the “best of the best” in the industry. The Nest Hybrid Latex is a mattress that uses good quality and durable materials that would be suitable for your weight/BMI range and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them that would be a cause for concern in terms of the durability and useful life of their mattresses.

Latex, like memory foam, is very point-elastic which means that it compresses at millions of specific points across the surface to take on the shape of the body profile especially in the lower ILDs The “springiness and responsiveness” you are noticing is due to latex being resilient which means that absorbs much less energy than memory foam (which has little to no resilience at all.) so latex can enhance the “feel” of the mattress by making it more responsive and more adaptable to different body profiles and sleeping positions rather than the less responsive feeling of memory foam or the stiffer and less adaptable characteristics of polyfoam. Generally, latex is among the highest quality material that can be used in a mattress as it is unusual for its abilities to be both soft and supportive at the same time.

I see why you would be questioning how a higher number of coil gauge could affect its durability over time and its supportive qualities. The amount of steel in a coil would probably be the most reasonable measure of its overall “quality” and durability. But you can’t determine the amount of steel in an innerspring based on just the gauge of the coil because the number of coils (or the coil density), the height of the coil, the diameter of the coil, the shape of the coil, and the number of turns in each coil, and some of the other coil specs that can differentiate one coil from another can also make a significant difference in the amount of steel in an innerspring and along with the type of coil and how the individual coils are connected together can also make a significant difference in the firmness and response of the innerspring as well. You may also notice that Caliber Edge used in Nest’s hybrid latex is 6" which means that it would be more supportive than its 8" counterpart.

Especially considering your BMI, all in all, I’d say that if a tempered innerspring provides suitable support and alignment when you lie on the mattress and it isn’t too soft for your weight and body type then it’s very unlikely that it would be the weakest link in a mattress which is likely to be in the comfort layers above the innerspring.

This is what Nest has on its site
…“Super Soft Organic Knit Cotton and Joma Wool / Eco-Friendly Comfort Foam” which at one inch or so would not be a weak link in terms of durability in a mattress. You can read Mattress Durability Guidelines/ to learn more about the factors that can affect the durability and life of a mattress.

[quote]Alexander Signature Series Flippable Even though it’s memory foam, I didn’t feel like I was sinking in like I did with the Casper. I’ve never bought an all foam mattress so I have a lot of concerns. Will the bed trap heat? Will the foam soften too much over time and have indentations? I really liked how the mattress felt in the store; however, I worry that as the foam conforms after a few months, it’ll be too soft and I’ll start to sink in. I’m not sure if these issues would reveal themselves within the 100 day trial. I would say I liked the feel of this mattress a little more than the Natural Hybrid Latex. The salesperson said this mattress is expected to last 6-8 years and I would need to rotate it every few months. So durability seems to be less than a hybrid.
2" 3.5 lb. 10 ILD Gel Memory Foam
2" 1.5 lb. 24 ILD Transitional Foam polyfoam
7" 2 Ib. 30 ILD Luxury Firm Base Foam polyfoam
1" 15 ILD CoolFlow™ Plush Quilting Foam & Organic Cotton Cover[/quote]
Again, with your lower back issue, I would be cautious if there is more than around an inch or so of lower density foam above the polyfoam support layer as this could be a weak link in a mattress. This generally happens with the gradual breakdown of lower density foams (below 4lbs for memory foams) that will affect its supportive qualities. Memory foam has very low resilience, has a more “in the mattress” feel to it, and changes its feel and response with pressure, temperature, humidity, and length of time it is subject to compression forces. It can feel firm in some conditions or circumstances and soft under different conditions. You can read more about the pros and cons of memory foam in this article So you can see that most of your other concerns related to memory foam heat retention, softening and breakdown, even how it feels during the course of the night are legitimate. I’d refer you back to the links provided in the Mattress Durability Guidelines article above and

All foams are insulators (rather than heat conductors) so to some degree, they will all be warmer than mattresses that contain no foam at all (such as the Parachute mattresses that only have an innerspring and layers of natural fibers on top) but these tend to be premium or super-premium mattresses and for the most part, almost all mattresses have some type of foam in the comfort layers.

[quote]Parachute The Mattress - This mattress is new so there isn’t any information on durability.
… I think this bed will keep the coolest since it’s made of natural fibers and has a coil on coil design.
… The price is much higher than the other two mattresses and there’s not a lot of material in the mattress. I’m worried that the two sheets of wool will compress over time and I’ll start to feel the microcoils. "[/quote]
The durability would be based on the components, not so much how long the mattress has been around. They claim on their site that this mattress will have a lifespan of 10 years. Most mattresses have a lifespan of 8 – 10 years, so this is nothing out of the ordinary here.

Microcoils can be durable and breathable as comfort layers. There’s nothing wrong with using them in that respect, but they do offer a bit of a different feel. It’s possible you would want a topper eventually, as natural fibers will tend to compress over time and feel a bit harder.

There is an entire thread here between a consumer and one of our Expert Members regarding Parachute’s “The Mattress” – including a discussion surrounding the wool sheets as a comfort layer, which you may find interesting.

I hope this information adds a bit more depth to your research. I look forward to hearing an update!

Phoenix

Thanks for all the information, Phoenix! Will definitely keep everyone posted.

Just an update, I swapped the comfort layer of the Nest to plush and I thought I finally found the perfect mattress, but unfortunately after a few weeks I guess it broke in somewhat and I started getting lower back pain. I’m back on the medium (wife still on plush, the king is split which I didn’t even know until I opened it to swap) as I’ll take arm pain over back pain any day. So now I’m weighing options again, thinking maybe some sort of zoned mattress might be the way to go. Anyone try the Brentwood Hybrid Latex Mattress? If so can you compare to the Nest medium/plush? Thanks.

I am a bit confused. Phoenix outlines NEST Specs:
Nest Natural Hybrid Latex in Firm - A good combination of firm support and contouring around my lower lumbar region. … I suspect it’s not an entirely latex mattress and that some of the foam is poly.
1" 1.5lb Support Foam

And then goes on to say:
Nest Bedding is one of our Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to be among the “best of the best” in the industry. The Nest Hybrid Latex is a mattress that uses good quality and durable materials that would be suitable for your weight/BMI range and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them that would be a cause for concern in terms of the durability and useful life of their mattresses.

But the Mattress durability guidelines Says if you have a BMI between
20 and 30 "Polyurethane foam (often called polyfoam): If your mattress is one-sided then I would make sure that the density of any polyfoam is at least 1.8 lb per cubic foot or higher."

I’m not trying to call anyone out; I just want to make sure I understand what is being said. Are you saying the NEST mattress is not good for a person with a BMI over 20?