Back Pain from Mattress

Hello,

Ok so I bought a tuft and needle mattress in Dec 2016 after going through a mess with 2 previous “new” mattresses offgassing and making me sick. I was finally happy I came across something that was not smelly and also a good price range. Now as far as what type of bed I perfer, it’s kind of hard to say because I slept on a old bed for years and I just know that bed wasn’t comfortable at all lol. But the T&N bed was sort of comfortable but at the same time I was getting lower back pain as well. I reached out to them and they sent me a 2" topper of the same polyfoam that’s in the mattress.

The topper did make the bed softer and helped for alittle bit but then my back pain came back. So here’s my problem, when I removed the topper, I was able to sleep a bit better without for about a week then the problem arise again, then it’s back to adding the topper and getting relief, etc. It’s like a cycle that I’m not understanding. Am I sinking in too much or is there not enough support? I’m on the thin side and I tend to sleep on my side.

This is such a pain because I do not wanna go through the mattress shopping task again and trying to find one that’s not offgassing strongly and then checking the store return policy and yadda yadda. I really wouldn’t prefer any foam mattress to be honest. Any suggestions/feedback would be helpful

Also want to add that my arms/hands tend to go numb often when laying across the bed, say with my arm bent and hand on my head. That’s with & without the topper on.

Hi HeyFaHey,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry your T&N mattress isn’t working out well for you. :frowning: But unfortunately, it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because they can be very complex and there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP or any “symptoms” they experience. There is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

You don’t state what type of problem or area of your back where you’re having issues, only that you have “back pain”. Adding the extra plushness on top didn’t seem to help with your issues, so perhaps it’s an overall issue with the type of polyfoam used in this mattress not agreeing with you. Usually when someone is “slight” and sleeps on their side and they are uncomfortable, it tends to be an issue of not enough surface comfort. But in your case you added more comfort and it didn’t improve things for you. One thought I would have would be to flip the mattress over and sleep upon the bottom (mattress “upside down”), which would be the firmer polyfoam layer of the mattress facing upward, and see if you feel better with that level of comfort. The other thing I’d recommend would be to take a look at the foundation you’re using under your mattress, because if that is not a flat and firm surface, you will have issues regardless of how your mattress is configured on top.

With the information you’ve provided, that’s about the best advice I can offer for now.

Phoenix

Thanks for the response. The pain is in my lower back area, tends to get tight until I get out of bed and stretch it off. The pain usually surface in the morning time, I’m usually fine gong to bed at night.

I have the bed on a box spring, relatively new. I previously had it on my old boxspring and that one was worn out so I swapped it and the support was better. I will look into turning it over and trying the other side.

Also, how about the numbness feeling I get at times in my hands? Would that be from a lack of support ?

Hi HeyFaHey,

Tightness in the low back can often be an alignment issue – either from lack thereof from your sleep surface or due to your own physical limitations (strength, flexibility…) or a combination of both. Flipping your mattress over should be able to pinpoint if a firmer surface comfort could be a culprit here.

Do you have it on an actual coil box spring unit? If so, this would be in appropriate for your mattress. Or when you say box spring, do you mean a foundation as described in the foundation thread here? Some type of a foundation is what you would need for your mattress. Also, make sure that whatever bed frame you are using has a proper center reinforcement to prevent the foundation and mattress from sagging for any full, queen or king size mattress.

Again, I unfortunately can’t predict what might be causing this issue via an online forum. The links contained in post #11 here do provide quite a bit of good information about diagnosing possible reasons for should joint pain. This can come from a mattress that is too hard, and also from one that is too soft. It can also be a result of poor alignment due to your pillow not being the proper height, so you may wish to check that so you have a more neutral alignment when side sleeping. It can also be from physical limitations and impingement in your axillary area due to personal flexibility/structural issues.

It will be interesting to learn of your response sleeping on a firmer surface after a week or so and if there is any change or improvement.

Phoenix