Bad back Looking for memory foam

Hi Strummer,

This is fairly “standard” practice in the industry … until you eliminate the worst choices (about 3/4 or more of the mattress stores that most people tend to buy from).

I think your expectations are certainly reasonable (depending on the size and on any other options that may need to go with it such as a foundation and mattress protector). Given your lower weight … you should be able to find a mattress in your budget that lasts you this long or longer … even in a queen.

The Tempurpedic mattresses use a range of high medium and low quality foams (the simplicity has some of the lowest quality/density memory foam in the market) but all of them regardless of the quality of the materials they use are poor value. they can provide a good reference point thoug for a memory foam mattress because many manufacturers will have a good idea of how their mattresses compare in terms of feel and performance to the Tempurpedic lineup.

I think the first place I would start is to click the link that is in the signature of every post I make in the forum. This has a step by step guide and links to information that will greatly increase your odds of finding the best possible mattress that fits your needs and preferences and has the quality (durability) and value you want as well. Most important though … it will eliminate most of the worst choices like major brands and mass market outlets like Macy’s and it will also help eliminate the low quality mattresses like any low density memory foam mattresses sold at Bob’s. Eliminating most of the more common choices such as the ones you have mentioned that have poor value will help you focus on the better ones.

Post #7 here has some of the better choices and possibilities in terms of smaller manufacturers and better retailers in your area and I would spend some time on the websites and on the phone with the ones that interest you to tell them about your criteria and then visit the ones that are most interesting to you.

I would be very wary about buying any of the mattresses you have mentioned and after reading the post I linked I hope you will be looking in completely new directions :slight_smile:

Phoenix