Bamboo Bliss or Aloe Alexis?

Howdy there -

I need a replacement for my antiquated “sleeping system” - an old, but well made foanm and cotton futon mattress with a 3" memory foam topper. Until recently, I was pretty comfortable then the futon finally caved in and is permanently impressed with my body mold(guess those Holiday pounds put it over its limit :stuck_out_tongue: )

I was entirely convinced that I was going to go for the Sealy Optimum, one of the firmer models, until I began lurking around this site and getting the real deal on the mattress industry. Thanks so much Phoenix! I did like the feel of the Optimum when I was on top of it, but it had the downside of being tough to get up from on the edge (there’s those Holdiay pounds again) felt like the edge cratered under me.

The nitty gritty specs -
5’5" and on the curvy, heavy side
side sleeper

My preferences -
a firmer mattress that has pressure relief for my hips
want to sleep up on the mattress not “cradled” in it

After much research and hours of reading, i am feeling that latex is the way to go. I am leaning towards Brooklyn bedding - the Bamboo Bliss or the Aloe Alexis. I intend to give these folks a call and have a long conversation about what would be most suitable for me, but hoped someone might have some general observations to help me along with the decision.

I am worried that 3" Talalay on the Bamboo bliss will not provide enough comfort given my weight or that I will be sinking into the Aloe Alexis more than is comfortable. Can anyone comment on what it feels like on the edge of the bed?

Any insights are truly welcome! Like anyone else reading this forum, this purchase would be significant for me and I want to ensure I am getting all the input I can. Thanks again Phoenix for all your hard work to bring this space together.

Hi Ez21,

Latex and memory foam are very different and even with softer latex you will be more “on the mattress” than with memory foam which is a more “in the mattress” material with its slow response and lower resilience.

How much you are “on the mattress” though … even with latex … will depend on your comfort choices. You will sink in more with softer latex and less with firmer latex layers.

Latex mattresses don’t typically have edge support (and using firmer materials that are lower quality and will soften sooner is usually a cost saving measure that reduces the cost of the latex in the mattress) and for most people this is not an issue or just part of the adjustment period of a new mattress but typically the edges will feel a little softer because of the “edge effect” and if you sit on them you will sink in deeper than with stiffer types of materials because latex is more “point elastic” (conforming to body shape) than polyfoam.

You can see some of my thoughts about latex hybrids compared to all latex mattresses and the Alexis which has more latex than the Bamboo Bliss but is still not “all latex” in post #2 here and post #4 here which along with a more detailed conversation with BB may help you make the best choice for you.

Phoenix

Thanks very much Phoenix -

Yeah, I get is about the latex/foam hybrid thing, but all latex is more than wee bit out of my budget (as I’m sure it is for a lot of folks). That said, the forum speaks highly of both of these products despite not being totally latex. I’ll give Brooklyn bedding a call and report back on how the conversation goes - mostly for others to read.

Again, I can’t thank you enough for this forum! I did not want to go into a big box retailer and get pressured into making a purchase because of the wants of the sales person, but buying online can be so risky. Thanks to all your hard work, a third option is available to me and other folks.

Hi Ez1,

As a point of reference … the bottom layer of a mattress will have the least effect on its overall durability and performance and there are certainly advantages in having a latex transition (middle) layer both in terms of performance and the flexibility of design in having two layers that can be re-arranged or exchanged.

Of course all of this is also subject to budget restrictions and each person’s personal value equation but the benefits are clear and well worth it IMO for those who can comfortably afford the extra latex layer.

Phoenix

Thanks for the helpful posts. On my way to purchase the Bamboo Bliss. Me and the wife are light weights and the additional layers in the Aloe seem overkill (budget wise). Especially for the price point.

Is a total latex bed a better quality or is it more a health issue with less foam?

Hi Shermer,

It would depend to some degree on what you mean by quality and on the person as well but for most people it wouldn’t be as much of a quality/durability issue (as long as the polyfoam was good quality and you weren’t “going through” the comfort layers too much based on weight or sleeping position) or a health or safety issue (as long as the polyfoam was certified for harmful substances and VOC’s) but more of a performance issue or budget issue. There is more about the difference between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

There are also some people who may prefer all latex just because it’s a more natural material or because the OekoTex certification that is usually used for latex (for harmful substances and VOC’s) is a little more stringent than the CertiPur certification that is usually used for polyfoam and memory foam.

Most of all though … congratulations on your new mattress … I think you made a great choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I am looking at the same choice. Thanks for the helpful comments. I’m bigger and thinking that the aloe might be the way to go, but then there are all the benefits to bamboo.

Hi samguitar,

Bamboo is just one of many viscose/rayon type of fabrics that are all made from some type of cellulosic source material (such as from bamboo, beech trees, pine trees, eucalyptus and many others) and by the time they are dissolved in a solvent and then made into a fabric they wouldn’t really have many of the benefits of the original source of cellulose any longer. There is more in post #2 here and the links inside it.

Phoenix

I am about 215lbs. and I think the Aloe Alexis was right for me. Not only does it have double the latex for support it also has more options for getting the PPP correct.

I got my Aloe Alexis in last week. We have been sleeping on it since last Thursday. Love the bed so far, but I have a few questions. We ordered a split level comfort of Levels 5 and 6. We received 2 level 5s (28 over 32), which Mario has corrected very promptly. He has our replacement on the way right now. My question is with both sides the same one side is noticeably softer that the other side. It’s not a bad thing I am just wondering with the same ild numbers is latex not consistent from piece to piece?

Hi Stu4084,

Blended Talalay latex is normally made with a relatively small variance in ILD either in the “average” of the 9 measurements they use to rate the core or in the variance across the surface of the material (unlike Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay which can have a wider variance). There is more about this in post #6 here. It would be very uncommon that the small variations between two different cores is something that people would feel in a split layer mattress where the ILD is the same on both sides.

If the difference is that noticeable it’s quite possible that “human error” may be the cause and that the difference is because they actually gave you the correct “split” firmness even though it was listed on the order as being the same.

When you receive the replacement if it seems to be the same as your current softer side then that’s what may have happened.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! We found that company through this website and couldn’t be happier with the level of service they have provided.
I do have another question for you, my parents are actually interested in purchasing a bed from them as well, but want an adjustable base with theirs. Do you have any experience with the adjustable bases? Would they work with an Aloe Alexis mattress or would it be better to have a total latex mattress?

Hi Stu404,

Most foam mattresses (memory foam, latex, or polyfoam) work well on an adjustable bed and latex in particular is very “bendable”. When a mattress is thicker than about 12" or so though it may not conform to the adjustable bed as well and with firmer and thicker layers of polyfoam in a hybrid which is a “stiffer” foam than latex then the foam can develop a “crease” where it bends on a constant basis so I would be a little bit cautious with this and would probably lean towards all latex vs a thick layer of firm polyfoam on an adjustable bed.

In cases like this where the answer is somewhat “questionable” I would definitely check with the manufacturer who will know more about the specific properties of their polyfoam than anyone and will give you a recommendation that is more specific to their mattress but I would be a little cautious.

Post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to may also be useful in helping you compare adjustable beds and has some sources that would make good “value references” as well.

Phoenix