Bamboo (Rayon) vs Tencel (Lyocell) Bed Linen

I’m trying to decide on my bed linen since I’ve pretty much made up my mind on my mattress (awaiting a bit more information before placing order).

I’m leaning towards a 50/50 Tencel fitted sheet, pillows covers and even duvet since to my knowledge Tencel has a more natural manufacturing process than Bamboo and regulates heat much better, comfort and softness maybe a bit less than Bamboo.

Are there any other distinct advantages of Tencel vs. Bamboo fiber?

Hi Nemix,

Both Tencel and Bamboo are cellulosic rayon fibers that are made from regenerated cellulose that comes from different sources. They can be made using either the original viscose process or the newer lyocell process. Tencel is Lenzing’s trade name for a fiber that uses eucalyptus trees as its source of cellulose and the lyocell process to make the fiber. Cellulose that comes from bamboo can be made with either the original viscose process or the lyocell process and uses bamboo as its source of cellulose. There are also many other variations that use different sources for the cellulose (such as beech trees) that are made into other versions of rayon as well (such as modal).

The cellulosic raw materials in the lyocell process aren’t any more natural than the viscose process (they are both semi synthetic fibers) but it is more environmentally friendly and improves the wet strength, the feel and softness/smoothness, and reduces shrinkage of the fiber.

There is some good information about different types of rayon fibers and production methods here and here and here

There is also more information about sheets and bedding in post #7 here and the other posts and sources of information it links to that may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

[quote=“Nemix post=58859”]I’m trying to decide on my bed linen since I’ve pretty much made up my mind on my mattress (awaiting a bit more information before placing order).

I’m leaning towards a 50/50 Tencel fitted sheet, pillows covers and even duvet since to my knowledge Tencel has a more natural manufacturing process than Bamboo and regulates heat much better, comfort and softness maybe a bit less than Bamboo.

Are there any other distinct advantages of Tencel vs. Bamboo fiber?[/quote]

my vote is for tencel because they are natural not an artifical like rayon which is sometimes really awful buy tencel is worth it i am personally using this works fine.

lehman42:

Both rayon and lyocell (Tencel tradename), are derived from regenerated cellulose (eucalyptus for Tencel, bamboo commonly used for rayon - but other sources of cellulose may be used), so they both have what is often described as a “natural” beginning. However, they differ in the process of production of the fibers and chemicals used in that process, with the lyocell process using an organic non-toxic solvent (NMMO N-methylmorpholine N-oxide) that is mostly recycled/recovered during the production process, so it’s often billed as a “cleaner” process with fewer waste streams associated with its production. But both fiber types have their start from cellulose derived from wood pulp or cotton linter.