Base for Foam Mattress

I’ve been doing extensive research to decide on the best latex & polyfoam mattress for my husband and I. I’m close to making a decision on a mattress, and am also wondering what kind of base to purchase. We have an IKEA platform bed and have been (incorrectly?) using box springs over the slats. The bed makes tons of noise when we move, though, and I’m interested in putting a metal foundation/platform bed frame inside our wood frame so the mattress rests on that instead of relying on the IKEA frame at all. My question is about whether a polyfoam base will mold into the metal frame. Thoughts? Are there other frame options?

Hi pixel1327,

There is more about the different types of support systems that are generally most suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in the foundation post here.

With a mattress that has a polyfoam support core then a wire grid foundation (see post #10 here) or a slatted foundation that has gaps that are about 5" or less would generally be a suitable choice although smaller gaps between slats or smaller spacing in the grid would still be more supportive and preferable.

Phoenix