BB Aloe Alexis or Restava Ivory?

I am down to 2 mattress choices, comparable prices, but different materials. I’m beside myself because I can’t find a mattress store within an hour of us in Houston that has latex mattresses for sale to test out. My wife and I went in to Mattress Firm to lay on TempurPedics to hopefully get an approximation of what the Restava felt like and we both liked the Rhapsody Luxe, which Restava says sleeps much like their Ivory. Restava advertises a cooler sleep than Tempur, but is the Alexis still going to be better temperature?

I love the fact that the Aloe Alexis has removable latex layers that can be swapped for next to nothing if we didn’t like the firmness we initially purchased. We could also replace them down the road if the mattress was out of warranty and it was more cost-effective just to purchase the latex (less than $800 for the Alexis latex). I’m also intrigued at their all-natural certifications and materials used.

My wife is about 130, side and stomach sleeper and I am 160, stomach sleeper. We have both had back problems probably mostly due to the deep indentions we currently have in our old coil mattress and we want to do it right this time. Any help?

Hi DJJazzyJoel22,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Houston area are listed in post #2 here.

You are certainly looking at some very good options but I would first decide whether you prefer memory foam or latex because they are very much of an apples to oranges comparison. There is more about how they compare in post #2 here but the best way to know which one you would tend to prefer would be based on your own personal testing and experience.

These are certainly part of the advantages of a component mattress (which are more commonly seen with latex or latex hybrids). Just for clarity though the certifications are for safety (Oeko-Tex and CertiPur test for harmful substances in the foam not for whether they are natural). The Alexis uses blended Talalay latex which is about 30% natural and 70% synthetic latex and polyfoam is a synthetic material. Restava also uses Certipur certified foams (polyfoam and memory foam).

There is more about all the factors that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here and this depends on more than just the type of foam used in a mattress. In general terms latex is the most breathable and coolest of all the foam materials but having said that … if a mattress or “sleeping system” is “cool enough” for you then beyond that it wouldn’t really be all that relevant and it’s unlikely that either one would sleep hot for most people.

Phoenix