BB/Dreamfoam Vs. Amazon line

Phoenix,

I’m new here, but I wanted to say hello. This morning, I had the day off, and spent it researching mattresses on mattress underground. First of all, I want to say thank you for your time, dedication, and patience used when responding to even the most redundant of questions regarding mattresses. My fiancee and I currently sleep on a bob-o-pedic 9" memory foam, and (she bought the bed before we got together, I swear) it is about 4 years old, and probably the worst mattress I have ever slept on. We have it on a standard box spring, and metal frame, and have both decided that it’s time for an upgrade.

We both make decent money, so we decided to start shopping around for mattresses, but found it ridiculous that some of the memory foam mattresses found in stores around us like Sears or Sleepy’s, were upwards of $3000.00. I decided to shop around a bit on the internet before committing to any purchases, and boy am I glad I did! I found Overstock.com and their Slumber Solutions line, which had PHENOMENAL reviews on the website, and was about to commit to purchase when I said to myself… “let me just be cautious and look around at a few other websites to be sure that these mattresses are legit.”

I did a quick google search, and your website popped up. Within the hour, not only had a decided NOT to buy that mattress due to the reduced quality of foam in comparison to other brands, but I had learned more from browsing your threads about memory foam, latex, etc., in that hour, then I have in my entire life from speaking to “professional” mattress salesmen. I have narrowed my choices down to either a memory foam mattress, or latex hybrid mattress, and have definitely decided to buy from Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam.

This brings me to my question, which I have been unable to find a direct answer for, (yet I’ve seen the subject on some threads, but couldn’t find a direct answer) and seeing your VAST knowledge of the industry, I believe you might be the person that can help me;

Are there any differences in quality between the mattresses purchased directly from BB/Dreamfoam, and the mattresses for sale by those companies but purchased through Amazon.com? Thanks in advance.

Hi NYParamedic,

Hello back and welcome … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Dreamfoam and Brooklyn Bedding are sister companies that make different lines of mattresses (see post #4 here and post #3 here) although there are a few such as the Total Latex Mattress or the Aloe Alexis where they overlap and the same mattress is available through both companies.

Outside of the few that are sold by both companies … the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses are only available from the Brooklyn Bedding site.

The Dreamfoam mattresses though are available through 3 different purchase channels but the mattresses are the same with each of them.

All of their mattresses are listed on their Amazon site (in this view and/or this view) and can be purchased with Dreamfoam fulfillment (vs Amazon fulfillment). Dreamfoam fulfilled mattresses don’t have a return policy although some of them have layer exchanges that allow you to replace the comfort layer with a different firmness level. The forum members here also quality for a pillow bonus for any of their mattresses that are purchased through Amazon and fulfilled by Dreamfoam.

Some of their more popular mattresses and sizes are available with Amazon fulfillment which means that they can be returned through the Amazon large items return policy (see post #11 here) and are eligible for Amazon prime 2 day shipping but the price is higher than the same mattress fulfilled by Dreamfoam and they don’t have a pillow bonus.

All of their mattresses are also available through the Dreamfoam Bedding site (which is a relatively new option) although all of them aren’t listed there so you would need to call them to order the ones that aren’t listed. Orders on their own site also come with a pillow bonus unless there is a special discount in effect. There is currently a 10% discount available (see their facebook page here) which can’t be combined or “stacked” with the pillow bonus. Orders from the Dreamfoam site also have a 45 day comfort guarantee (see the bottom right corner of their page).

An order through their own site with the current 10% discount would probably be the best combination of price and return options out of the three different Dreamfoam purchase channels.

Phoenix

You, sir, are a true savant. Calling you a “wealth of knowledge” would be a gross understatement! Thank you sincerely for the thorough reply, and after talking to my counterpart, it seems that we will most definitely be following your advice!

My only remaining questions are;

1. How in the heck do you possess such a wealth of knowledge on mattresses, frames, boxsprings, etc.,? I have literally never seen anybody with such expertise on a subject! (Of any sort)

and

1. What do YOU sleep on!?

Cheers! B)

Hi NYParamedic,

Thanks for the kind words … I appreciate it :). I think that long hours of continuous and ongoing research, conversations, and testing can certainly help speed up a learning curve that never seems to end (I have probably spent an average of 12 - 16 hours a day 7 days a week on this site and the research and other activities that go into it over the last almost 4 years) and the fact that it is a “labor of love” that is always fascinating to me probably helps a lot but the biggest reason for whatever I may know is the time and generosity of the large (and growing) number of people from all parts of the industry who have shared the knowledge and experience they have gained over many years (or sometimes generations) in the industry so all I had to do was amalgamate it and put all the pieces together. There is also a little more about the history of the site and why I started it in post #4 here.

You can see the details here :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Quick update info. BB website now states a 120 night risk-free guarantee policy.
Their discount has been reduced to 5%.

Hi Krandall,

The Brooklyn Bedding trial period has been 120 days since they launched their new BestMattressEver on the Memorial Day weekend at the end of May. The mattresses they listed on their site previously are still available with the old exchange/return policy but they would need to be ordered on the phone (see post #1027 here)

The TMU discount for Brooklyn Bedding has always been 5% and hasn’t been reduced (assuming that’s what you are referring to)

Phoenix

Sorry, I was reading your post about Dreamfoam and got them confused.
Just purchased from BB and am looking forward to sleeping on my new mattress.

Hi Krandall,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had a chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Well, I decided to go directly to Brooklyn Bedding and buy their mattress since there was no doubt they would give us 120 nights to decide. Interestingly, the day the mattress came was the day I saw my new neurosurgeon to discuss back surgery or epidurals for back pain. I decided to go with the epidurals to start as he suggested.

Came home and opened the mattress. Was able to sleep on it that night as there was no smell at all (and I have extremely sensitive olfactory nerves). Got up the next morning to make coffee and realized that I actually stood up and didn’t freeze or fall back on the bed as I had for the past 5 months. No back pain with the latex over foam mattress from BB!.

It is now a month later and my back feels so much better I’ve postponed my epidural. I can’t believe the difference this mattress made. Remarkable!

It was the easiest (physically) bed I ever bought (emotionally it was nerve wracking until it got here and I loved it) and now three friends are in the process of buying one either from BB or Dreamfoam. I liked the BB for a number of reasons including the extra inch of latex you get. The return policy was the clincher, though.
I got the medium and it’s perfect for me, who likes a bit of luxury and am a side sleeper, and for my partner who likes a firmer mattress. We’re both ridiculously happy and have been sleeping in longer and taking naps just because it feels so good to sleep on this mattress.

Oh, and our Doberman loves it, too. We got a King and she can now stretch her legs out fully, her favorite way to sleep between us. All Dobies are alike, especially when it comes to being with their “pack” and being comfortable. All mattresses and mattress companies are NOT alike and Brooklyn Bedding is where I’ll shop from now on. There are a couple videos on U-Tube that people should check out, viz., the tour of the company that makes BB mattresses (and Dreamfoam) and the 90 min. one by the guy who sells mattresses and gives you a real education on mattress buying. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOj1cutzhVg&index=1&list=PLjse6lpLgCzFgLSdyq-PwMP_dsGl8FoGu and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjlhSQthrL4.

I’ll keep you informed as time goes on. And thanks Phoenix for all your invaluable input.

Hi Krandall,

Thanks for taking the time to share and update and it’s great to hear that your mattress is working out so well for you. :slight_smile:

The first video has some good information but it also includes some very misleading and even incorrect information (you can see my comments about the same video in post #3 here)…

The second video is a very interesting tour through the Brooklyn Bedding factory which is one of the most modern factories in the country although their website itself also has a great deal of misleading information on it as well.

There is also a brief video here by Brooklyn Bedding that describes the different layers of the BestMattressEver.

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

Since it is such a popular web site what information do you deem misleading?

Hi ckole,

You can see some more detailed comments about some of these “review” sites in post #1 here in the simplified choice mattress topic.

Recommending or rating a mattress for someone else based on one person’s individual subjective preferences is probably the most misleading information of all on most of these sites.

While other people’s comments or reviews about the knowledge, service, and guidance of a particular business can certainly be helpful … I would generally avoid using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

The fact is that the only thing a mattress review will usually tell you is how one person likes a particular mattress which is usually based only on initial or early impressions that are very subjective and little else. In some cases they are also driven by the income they earn for referrals much more than more “objective” considerations. I would be very skeptical of anyone who claims that they have some kind of crystal ball that can predict which specific mattress you will sleep best on with any certainty. It just doesn’t exist (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here)

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

They also don’t usually provide any meaningful information about the quality and durability of the materials in each of the mattresses they are reviewing which “by omission” implies that they don’t really matter and that any of the mattresses they review would make a good choice … and outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) the quality and durability of the materials in a mattress and the mattress “as a whole” are among the most important parts of the “value” of any mattress purchase.

There are often also factual errors on these types of sites because they tend to repeat the information they are given and may not have the knowledge to realize that some of this information may not be correct or accurate but these are probably less important than the bigger issues that I mentioned.

Phoenix