BB vs SF and Mattress Cover Questions!! Help!

Hello to everyone!

I am new to this forum, and want to thank you all for having me. I’ve found this site to be extremely helpful. After around 30-40 hours of research and careful deliberation, I’ve decided on a “Cloud Luxe” series of Mattresses. I’ve also narrowed the search down to Brooklyn Bedding and Select Foam, based on reviews, overall satisfaction, materials used, and low VOC’s.

I’ve thoroughly tested the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and Cloud Luxe Breeze (as well as the Supreme and other models). I’ve found that when laying on the bare Cloud Luxe Breeze, it’s my favorite, but with sheets and a mattress protector, it’s hard to tell the difference between the Cloud Luxe and the Cloud Luxe Breeze. (All are King Size)

Also, I’m about 5’8 170 lbs. The wife is around 5’6 130 lbs. We both tend to be side sleepers, but sometimes end up on our stomach/back in the morning on a traditional mattress.

Now the questions:

1. Based on our preferences and sleep habits, what mattress would be best? Brooklyn Bedding or Select Foam? Or is there ANOTHER company out there that would be able to provide me just as good (or better) of a mattress, comparable to the Cloud Luxe, with low VOCs, and high quality - for less money?

2. With a mattress cover (We both have horrible allergies to dust mites), as well as a full set of sheets, will I notice any difference between the Cloud Luxe and Cloud Luxe Breeze? (For BB it’s the Cool Luxe and the Pure Cool Luxe). If so, is the difference worth the extra $600+??

3. I currently use a spring mattress (Horrible), with a latex dust-mite allergen proof covering (zipper type). For the memory foam mattresses, what cover(s) would be the best for me that would still provide complete protection against dust-mites, but also wouldn’t have to be constantly washed (the latex ones NEVER have to be washed, but only wiped down periodically). What would be the best covering that would still allow the memory foam to do it’s job, without interfering? I’m very lost on this topic.

Ok - any further comments/suggestions would be absolutely welcomed. I need as much help as possible before I make my purchases.

Thanks very much in advance, I hope to hear from you all soon.

Hi biodole,

Both of these are among the best quality/value available (which is why they were invited to become members of the site). While I can’t tell you what to choose or what is best for you … mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here has more about making comfort or design choices but once you have eliminated all the worst options and you are choosing between “good and good” then there is no formula that can determine which is best for you when you make your final choices and it depends on all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of a mattress purchase that are most important to you. In terms of quality and value neither of them would be a mistake and you would be making a better choice than 90% or more of consumers that buy a mattress from mainstream outlets.

Outside of local options that may be available to you where you can test the mattresses in person … post #12 here includes the some of the better online sources for memory foam mattresses I’m aware of.

You can read a little more about controlling dust mites in post #2 here. Some of the suggestions there will have much more effect on dust mites than any potential differences between the Cloud Luxe and the Cloud Luxe Breeze.

I would use the same type of cover for any mattress to help prevent dust mites from either entering the mattress or their waste products from affecting you. I’m not familiar with any latex mattress protectors. While there is no way to eliminate dust mites because they are everywhere … for those who are allergic a mattress and pillow cover that encloses both can make a big difference. I think one of the best options that has the least effect on the feel of the mattress is the cotton stretch covers that have a pore size that is small enough to control dust mites and their byproducts but are still breathable and then you can use a regular mattress protector on top of this (see post #89 here) which will protect the mattress from accidents and body oils and can easily be removed and washed. This can be a simpler solution that using a semi breathable waterproof membrane type cover that surrounds the entire mattress but is less breathable and needs to be removed to be cleaned.

Phoenix

Hi Biodole,

I’m right there with you: researching and researching and finally settling on the same two companies for a Cool/Purecool or Cirrus mattress. I’ve tested many, many mattresses at many stores, rejecting the feel of latex (which I really wanted to like) and confirming my choice of memory foam. I tried Keetsa and would have researched it further but for a very difficult exchange policy. I have spent so much concentrated time doing this that I think the salespeople in my area all know me by now. And I’ve referred more than a few prospective customers to this site along the way, lol!

It’s interesting and helpful to know that you can’t tell the difference between the Breeze and the regular model with sheets and mattress protector. I am the opposite, preferring the feel of the non-Breeze, but liking the idea of the Breeze more. That may help to clarify my thinking.

I’m also wondering about the return policy on the beds. If I’m reading this correctly (and I may not be) Brooklyn Bedding’s site requires people to keep the bed for 90 days before asking for a return. They don’t seem to allow exchanges on the memory foam mattresses though I suppose there’s always that option. The Selectfoam site requires only 30 days but their return/exchange window is shorter, at 90 days. I don’t want to harp on the exchange issue but it’s a scary prospect to make an online purchase of this magnitude without a sense of security.

Hi susanco,

Brooklyn bedding and Select Foam both have great return policies.

On the Cool and PureCool line BB has a 120 day return policy where they even pay the return shipping.

Select Foam also offers a 90 day trial period with free return shipping.

Both are “finished mattresses” so they don’t have layer exchanges and both provide plenty of time for their customers to decide whether they like the mattress with low risk.

I don’t see anything on the BB site about keeping the mattress for 90 days before a return although it’s quite common that there is a minimum time involved so that people have a chance to give a mattress a fair test before returning it. Their return policy here says 30 days.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

When I went to the page for the particular cool series mattress I’m interested in, and opened the tab that says “money back guarantee” there is a statement at the bottom of the “truly risk free 120 day trial” page that reads as follows:

*Must try product for a minimum of 90 days before taking advantage of the risk-free trial. Customer is responsible for packaging the mattress."

Susan

Hi susanco,

I hadn’t read that … thanks for bring it to our attention :slight_smile:

I think it’s certainly reasonable for those that have tried the equivalent tempurpedic so that at least they know that they will be very close and this allows them to make sure that the initial break in period and adjustment period of a mattress (which can be up to about 90 days or so) isn’t a factor in their returns which of course is part of why they can offer it.

Thanks again.

Phoenix

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Based on price alone, I’ve narrowed it down to the BB Cool Luxe. I just couldn’t come up with enough reasoning to spring for the extra $700 for the PureCool Luxe version.

However, the price of $1,499 - 5% w/ 2 free pillows and free shipping is definitely hard to resist for the BB Cool Luxe King.

Now that I’m fairly settled on the mattress, the next question is going to be the COVER/ENCASEMENT

Both of us have horrible allergies, particularly to dust mites. My current mattress is using a traditional non-breathable latex encasement (sounds crinkly), and it works perfectly (no allergy symptoms when using it).

As a result, I am VERY skeptical to buy one of the Sleep Tite or other “breathable” mattress protectors.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a 100% Dust Mite Proof protector/encasement that will NOT impede the functionality of the Memory Foam Mattress???

Thanks!!!

Hi biodole,

You can see my reply to this in post #2 of the thread.

I’m not familiar with any mattress protector made from latex. Are you sure you don’t have a vinyl protector (which are typically the ones that are crinkly and are completely non breathable)?

Phoenix

Correct, it IS vinyl.

Sorry about that.

I still don’t know of a mattress protector/encasement to purchase to guarantee 100% dust-mite proof that will work successfully with the Memory Foam Mattress (without limiting it’s capability).

After using this site to come to the same conclusion, I felt I needed to reply. We just bought the SF Luxe - following the advice on here - it was closer to the tempur-pedic as its second layer is an 8 HD. The BB’s second layer is a 5 HD - Tempur-pedic reports a 7 HD in their second layer. As of this evening SF continued its Labor Day Sale specials…I don’t know for how long but you can save anywhere from $250-500 based on what you spend. We went ahead and invested in the automatic bed - got both pieces for less than what we would have spent on the Tempur-pedic mattress alone! Looking forward to receiving my new bed and getting a great night’s sleep! Off to read about the mattress protectors…Thank you for this site!

Hi jarpoet,

Congratulations on your new mattress … I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.:slight_smile:

@biodole,

The previous post I linked includes links to several options for dust mite encasements that would all be suitable for you and have little effect on the mattress and would all be more breathable than the vinyl cover you are currently using.

The smaller the micron size of the encasement the more allergens it will block but anything under about 6 microns will prevent allergens from dist mites and their byproducts. All of the encasements that use a semi breathable membrane have a 0 micron size which wouldn’t allow any particles through at all and they would all be effective but they are not as breathable as cotton or cotton blends or other types of microfiber although they would have the added benefit of being waterproof.

Most of the manufacturers that make protectors also make encasements such as Protect-A-Bed and Luna.

I’m not sure why you are asking the same question as your two other posts or what part hasn’t been answered ?

Phoenix