Bear Mattress topper or alternative?

Hello,
I have a Bear Mattress which, overall, I love. However, occasionally, when i sleep on my side, my arm falls asleep. Perhaps I need a topper? I am in the market for a new king-sized bed. Is there another brand that has the same underlying firmness as the Bear Mattress but with a slightly thicker upper layer to prevent the arm-fall-asleep issue?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Intelsbe.

Welcome back to our Mattress Forum!:slight_smile:

You are correct that the uppermost layers of your mattress will have the most impact upon your comfort. Choosing a mattress with a thicker comfort layer may not be necessarily the best solution as the thickness of the upper layers would also affect not only the comfort but the support that a particular construction offers, I would look instead at the combination of the foams being used and their ability as a whole, to create an appropriate comfort cradle to relief any pressure points but be supportive enough to keep your spine in neutral alignment.

There are hundreds of memory foam mattresses that will be softer than the Bear, but every change in a layer will change the overall feel and comfort of your mattress. I would make sure to choose a mattress that is using good quality materials and maybe consider exchange layer options as well. If customizable options are not possible then a good return policy may be important to you.

You can view the specifications of your current mattress in post#2 here

While in itself adding a topper can be a good solution it is good to keep in mind that any topper (or top layer) will interact with all the other layers in the mattress you have and the same topper can feel quite different on different mattresses.

While it’s not possible to make specific suggestions because of all the many variables involved that are unique to each person and your own experience is the only way to know for certain whether any mattress/topper combination will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP,

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

Because of the uncertainty involved with purchasing a topper where you can’t test the combination in person … a good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would also make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the topper and any costs involved just in case a topper you choose also doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

The topper and component [url= https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/foam-factory-any-good}reference post here[/url] includes the better online sources I’m aware of for latex toppers and components.

I hope this helps and you have any other more specific questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Phoenix