Beautyrest Georgianna

Greetings. I’ve been searching the Internet looking for reviews on mattresses. My husband and I recently purchased a Beautyrest Georgianna in a king size. The bed does not seem to be working out for us. He has had some stiffness, but I’ve had it worse. It seems to have aggravated my bulging lumbar discs and sciatica. I have a feeling that this bed may be too soft for us. We went back to Sit-n-Sleep to inquire about it and was told it was a firm mattress. We will be able to exchange it for something else…after paying a restocking fee. We will have to purchase from them though. Your thoughts about the bed we purchased, and what we should now look at. We tried a couple of the memory foam mattresses (iComfort and Tempur-pedic), but are afraid of making a wrong decision. You help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Lanesville,

As you can see from the guidelines here … Simmons along with the other major brands are among the choices I would suggest avoiding and are not the type of quality and value that I would normally suggest even considering.

You are in a difficult position because most of the chain stores like Sit-n-Sleep don’t usually have any mattresses that I would consider to be good options or value for either a purchase or an exchange. The only brand they carry that I would tend to consider as a purchase is Sherwood which at least might provide you with better options than most chain stores usually have available.

There are other forum members though that have been in a similar situation (needing to make an exchange with a major brand mattress or through a chain store) and post #2 here and the other posts it links to will give you some insights about how to make the best of a difficult situation.

As you will see … if you exchange for another major brand then the option I would lean towards would be to exchange for a very firm mattress that has the least possible amount of lower quality polyfoam in the comfort layers (which is difficult to find because they all tend to have too much) and then add a high quality topper to add your own comfort layer. This will generally give you the best possible quality and durability. This or one of the Sherwoods would probably be the best choice in your circumstances.

I would also make sure you read post #1 here which along with the information it links to is the most important post on the forum and will provide you with a lot of basic information that will also be helpful even though you are exchanging a mattress rather than starting the search to purchase one from the beginning.

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply Phoenix.

Here are the Sherwood mattresses currently on-line at Sit-n-Sleep.

http://www.sitnsleep.com/mattresses/sherwood

Which of these would you recommend?

Also, the one question you didn’t answer for me was this…is the Beautyrest Georgianna considered a firm mattress or a plush?

Thanks.

Hi Lanesville,

[quote]Here are the Sherwood mattresses currently on-line at Sit-n-Sleep.

www.sitnsleep.com/mattresses/sherwood

Which of these would you recommend?[/quote]

I can only tell you how to choose not what to choose. Your own objective testing for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) is a much more reliable way to select the best mattress for you. There is much more about this (including how to test a mattress) in the post I linked earlier. The reason for the suggestion about Sherwood is that they tend to use higher quality materials at lower price points than the major brands and higher quality materials will keep their comfort and support longer than the lower quality/density materials that are typically used in the major brands.

The Georgianna is listed as an ultra plush which would be one of the softest mattresses in the Beautyrest Black and Beyond line. Don’t forget though that “plush” and"firm" are really meaningless terms because what one person perceives as too soft another will perceive as too firm depending on their body type, sleeping style, and overall perceptions although I doubt that many people would call the Georgianna a firm mattress and their comment about it being “firm” sounds like nonsense to me.

Phoenix

Hi Again Phoenix,

I have just returned from vacation…great vacation…terrible mattress! Hahaha…my lot in life I guess.

Anyway, I have researched the Sherwood mattress brand a little bit and have come up with the Lumina Ecnore Cadence Luxury Firm bed which SitnSleep is currently selling for $2299.99.

Any thoughts on this bed?

Any thoughts to adding a 3" Novaform Pure Comfort Memory Foam Mattress Topper (or Gel Foam Topper) from Costco?

Thanks, as always.

Pam

Hi Lanesville,

I think Sherwood tends to make better than average quality and value mattresses but to know the quality or value of any specific mattress always depends on knowing the details of all the layers in the mattress (including the foam density of any polyfoam or memory foam). It’s the job of a retailer to provide you with this information (or get it from the factory if they don’t have it) so that you don’t have to make a blind purchase with no way to know it’s real quality or value compared to other mattresses in a similar price range. I would ask them for the information and if you post it here I’d be happy to give you more meaningful feedback about that specific mattress.

I would avoid buying any topper where you haven’t tried the specific mattress/topper combination in person until you have had the chance to sleep on a new mattress for long enough to really know what type of topper to buy and the type of changes you need to make in the mattress itself based on your personal experience. You can see some topper guidelines that may help you choose the one that is best for you in post #2 here.

Buying a mattress is often difficult enough and introducing a second variable where there is no way to know or even guess how the combination will feel for you until you have some direct experience with a mattress can be even more difficult and I would deal with each choice one at a time. I would choose a topper (if you need one at all) based on your actual experience on the mattress and if you have the chance to choose just a mattress that doesn’t need a topper or doesn’t involve more “unknowns”, poor value, or “weak links” is usually an even more effective approach if it’s possible.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

I went to SitnSleep and exchanged the Beautyrest Georgianna for a Sherwood Opus Talalay (I think)…

Comfortable, but sleeps HOT, HOT, HOT. I have tried the temperature balancing mattress pad from SleepNumber as well as their sheets, but have found no relief.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks,
Pam

Hi Lanesville,

I don’t know the specific layering of the Sherwood Opus (you can list the specifics of the layers here and I’d be happy to make more comments) but you can read more about some of the many factors that work together that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here. The first place I would check is the type of mattress protector, sheets, and bedding you are using.

The opus also appears to have 3 layers of supersoft quilting foam (see here) which could be part of the reason as well. The latex would probably be too deep in the mattress to have much effect on temperature control.

Phoenix