Beautyrest World Class Resonance King Set

What can you all tell me about this mattress. I went out test driving some mattresses today at Mattress Firm in my town. I had no intention of buying anything from MF, I just wanted to see what I found comfortable. The sales rep was useless for specs. In fact, she told me had never heard of the lbs per cubic foot spec of polyfoam, and she has been working in the industry for 25 years. (but whatever).

I and my girlfriend really liked the comfort we of the beautyrest mentioned in the subject. I let the sales woman make me an offer. $1999 for the king set. A killer deal she told me, because she was giving me the King for the price of the queen for today only. Well, she quoted me the sale price advertised on MF’s website.

I suspect this still is not a good deal regardless, but I did like the feel of the mattress. Do you guys have suggestions for a better quality mattress for at or less than the priced quoted to me. I liked the feel of the mattress, so I would like something that would give me the same experience, but one that will last years at home.

Tomorrow I am meeting a Mattress by Appointment seller. I’d like to have something to come to bat with. This is a huge purchase for me. All the help will be appreciated. I will field any questions asked!

Hi Odontoid,

My reply to a similar question in post #2 here would be the same as I would reply to your questions as well.

The shorter answer is that I would avoid all the major brands such as Simmons, Sealy, and Serta completely whether they are supposedly “on sale” or otherwise (see the guidelines here) because you won’t be able to find out all the information you need to make an informed choice about the quality and durability of the materials in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses and the upper layers of the mattress would include lower quality/density materials that would be a significant weak link in the mattress in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

In addition to that the only way to know whether another mattress will feel similar to you will be based on your own personal experience and comparisons because there wouldn’t be another manufacturer that makes a mattress that is specifically designed to “match” the Beautyrest World Class Resonance.

As you discovered … most people that have spent more than a couple of hours on this site would know more meaningful information about mattresses and mattress materials than most of the salespeople in the mainstream industry that sell them and I personally wouldn’t spend any time in chains stores such as Mattress Firm even if you are only testing mattresses because most of the time you spend there will be wasted if you aren’t able to find out the specifics about what is inside the mattresses you are testing.

The information you will need to ask meaningful questions are in the other reply I linked but I would take your time and follow all the steps in the tutorial one at a time. With an “appointment” retailer I would especially make sure that you can find out all the information you need to make an informed choice and I would make sure that you don’t get “tempted” by any special “deals” they offer you in an effort to create a sense of urgency for you to buy one of their mattresses before you are ready to make your purchase or have made some meaningful comparisons with other stores and mattresses. Keep in mind that good quality/value mattresses are available every day of the year.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thank you for your time. I live in Gainesville, GA. I would most definitely appreciate to find out about better options if you know of any.

Hi Odontoid,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #5 here. There are also some good options in the Atlanta list in post #2 here if you don’t mind traveling a little further.

Phoenix

Phoenix wrote:

Yes, be especially careful when visiting these mattress by appointment shops. A brief search online will inform you of how many of these places are run, complete with their tactics and methods of deceiving consumers and pressuring people into buying right away. Most of these are presented to people as a “make money in your spare time” schemes, with little if any education. The emphasis is in the creation of a façade of great deals not available anywhere else.

I’m not saying that this is the type of store you’re visiting, but please heed the warnings that Phoenix mentioned.