Bed outlet please - 08515 - thank you!

Many annoying vampire squid mattress stores in the area. Been burned once - would like avoid another. Please help!

Personally, I find it all to be a shot in the dark, unless you build your own or have a very accommodating return policy. Having said that, building your own can be a long and expensive road. But I am still going down that road. Because in the end I will know what works best for me and be able to modify if accordingly.

Hi SONJ,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

When considering a new mattress, I certainly can provide guidance as to the “how” to choose. The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst (vampire squid :stuck_out_tongue: ) ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase, helping to put the odds in your favor and not be a “shot in the dark”.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here, some better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Trenton/Philadelphia/Wilmington area are listed in post #4 here.

If you are interested in looking online, you may wish to use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex and memory foam and other options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Their detailed knowledge of their mattresses and how they fit with different body types and sleeping positions along with your feedback from local testing, a customer base of many people that they can use as reference points, and any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase. These online retailers or manufacturers can also be a good “value reference” for local purchases to make sure that if you are paying a “premium” for a local purchase (in exchange for the kind of “in person” guidance, service, and value that comes with dealing with a local retailer that can help you make more “accurate” choices that you have tested in person) is not too high.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your reply. My wife and I visited Shovlin Mattresses last night (ever drive through north-central NJ at rush hour?). The Nirvana - Oh what a nice mattress (though a bit $$$)!! Thank you for listing them as an option. We may ultimately end up back there but want to do a bit of shopping first.

Princeton Mattress has the OMI line that looks interesting. Not quite the tanalay content that Shovlin has but, on paper, it sounds like a possible alternative. I would appreciate any comment(s) you might have about the line. They have the Flora, Terra, and Classic models in their showroom. We’ll be visiting tonight after work.

Will probably move on to White Lotus tomorrow. Much thanks in advance.

AND…if you’d prefer not to comment on a specific brand (in this case, OMI) please comment about the following specs. Do you note any concerns? 3-layers of tanalay versus one 6-inch layer? It says “3 layers of Tanalay; a 3-inch firm core sandwiched between 2 layers of soft latex”. Thanks much!!

2-sided, 8-inch flat-surface mattress made with 3 layers of Tanalay
FIRMNESS: Medium-Firm - The 3-inch firm latex inner core is sandwiched between 2 layers of 2-inch soft latex.
DEPTH: 8"

I keep calling it tanalay - it might be easier if i petition for a name change rather than learn it correctly. Ugh…

Hi SONJ,

While OMI certainly uses higher quality materials, they are also in much higher budget range than many other manufacturers that use the same materials in their mattresses (including organic latex, organic wool and organic cotton) so I would normally suggest making some very careful value comparisons based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are important to you so that you are satisfied that there is enough of a difference in “real life” to justify the higher cost compared to other mattresses that use the same amount of the same type and blend of latex and have a similar wool quilted cover that are in lower budget ranges that may be just as comfortable and just as suitable in terms of PPP and would be just as durable.

They may have different designs but the materials they use would be the same as many other manufacturers that are in lower budget ranges. You can read more about the different types of latex in post #6 here and if you know the specifics of the construction and materials inside any mattress you are considering then you can make meaningful “apples to apples” comparisons between them based on the materials.

The OMI Flora uses good quality and durable componentry, but my previous comments would apply regarding that you make a careful value equation on this product. As far as the appropriateness of the comfort specific to your own personal needs, that isn’t something I’d be able to determine via an online forum, as there are entirely too many personal variables involved.

Phoenix

Wow! Spot on with the cost. Magnificent mattress but if we were to purchase it there would be no money left over to stuff in it. The Savvy mattress was there as well. Another awesome product - a bit less cost but still very expensive (although nice financing with 0% at 48 months).

On to My Custom Bedding and White Lotus.

Sleepez popped up in my research and you seem to give them fav ratings. I’m struggling with the concept of purchasing a mattress sight unseen. Firmness, support, cushioning, etc. Trust issues? Is therapy in order? Seems odd to me. This one versus that one…How do you make that decision? Just based on the description? Ugh…

Now THERE! is a concept. Build your own…I give you credit - don’t think i’d undertake that project. Skill level (can’t sew a button on my shirt) would be an issue. I guess you could find raw materials on the internet. Impressive. I wish you luck!

Phoenix,

BTW - i failed to thank you in my last post for this site. I feel when i eventually make the purchase it will be an informed one and without buyer’s remorse. Thank you for this website, the research, advice, and this forum.

Hi SONJ,

You are correct that SleepEZ is a site member here, which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations.

When considering an online purchase, I’ll always recommend a detailed phone conversation with any manufacturer you are considering, as they will have the most knowledge about their products and will best be able to match what they offer to other items you may have tried locally and come up with a feel that they think will best match your needs, based upon their experience with the materials in questions and the feedback they’ve had over time from others in similar situations any body types. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else. Many of these manufacturers also feature customizable sleep systems and allow for some sort of an exchange/return policy, should your initial purchase not turn out as well as you had hoped.

Many people are more comfortable shopping locally, as you can try out many different combinations in person and compare them to each other in “real time”. Some good local testing will also give you a much better sense of the many different types of materials and components that are used in mattresses and some reference points about the types of mattresses (see this article) and general firmness levels you tend to prefer which can help you narrow down your choices regardless of whether you end up purchasing locally or online.

In the end, there is no one right or wrong answer, only what choice with which you have the most comfort and confidence.

Thank you for the kind words.

Phoenix