bed under rug for latex mattress on adjustable base

Does a latex mattress, with a cover made of cotton without wool on the bottom, need a wool or coir bed rug or something else under it because the adjustable base is not slatted or ventilated? Or, should I put a layer of wool like a puddle pad or blanket inside the cover beneath the layers of latex? I asked a few mattress retailers, and one said I should use a coir rug under the mattress, but two others told me it would eventually crease and break when using it on an adjustable base, so they recommended I use nothing or maybe a wool blanket inside the cover on the bottom.

I’m also wondering what kind of encasement or cover I should put on the mattress. The cover is cotton quilted to wool on the top and upper sides, but on the bottom, it’s just cotton. I like the stretchy cotton feeling that doesn’t alter the feeling of the latex, so ideally I would like to use something like the Green Sleep vasilo stretch knit cotton mattress protector, but I think I need a moisture barrier to protect against moisture getting into the latex during sleep. I’m also concerned about dust mites, and the risk of bed bugs.

I’ve looked at the Allersoft cotton encasement and the Protect a Bed luxury eucalyptus encasement, and the St Dormeir wool/cotton water resistant mattress cover, but am not sure I would like the way this might reduce the conforming feeling of the latex, and if I’m going to use an encasement, perhaps it should protect against bed bugs as well?

What if I use the St Geneve Stellmark bed bug/dust mite zippered encasement, then the Natura deluxe wool filled cotton mattress pad as my washable waterproof layer with wool to help manage moisture/temperature, and then the Green Sleep vasilo cotton stretch mattress protector?

Can anyone advise me? Thank you.

Hi goldilocks,

There is more about some of the additional risks of a solid surface support system in post #10 here. If you don’t have any additional risk factors you should probably be fine without anything else under the mattress. I also think that the coir would tend to crease and break with constant bending. A wool blanket would also be a good idea if you are concerned.

Post #89 here has more information about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and links to some good sources for each of them.

There is also more information about dust mites and allergies and methods that can be used to control dust mite populations or other allergens in post #2 here and in post #3 here.

There is also more about allergy and bed bug encasements in post #2 here.

This would probably be overkill. If you have a dust mite/bed bug encasement with a wool quilted waterproof protector on top of it (that can be easily removed and washed) there wouldn’t be any need to add a second mattress protector such as the vasilo.

Phoenix