BedinaBox not holding up as this site warns

I purchased a Bedinabox PacBed Original a little over two years ago. It cost me $700+ for a king mattress. I selected it based on rave reviews on sleeplikethedead.com and high customer satisfaction elsewhere. I even read up on it on this site. I saw the warnings about 3 lb. density breaking down too quickly and not holding up over time. I also read the claims on Bedinabox’s own website that their 3 lb density was different and therefore would hold up just as well as higher density, needlessly heavy and expensive memoryfoam mattresses. Given high customer satisfaction ratings everywhere on the internet and their great price, I ordered one.

I won’t lie, I was initially in heaven. What prompted me to search in the internet for a new mattress was that I noticed a pattern of discomfort I’d been struggling with. I would go to bed feeling great, and wake up with my back sore or tweaked. Took me a while to realize my spring coil mattress (purchased only 2 years earlier at Macy’s, for over $1800) was sabotaging me. So I set out to find a more supportive, more firm mattress, which eventually led me to Bedinabox.

When I first started sleeping on it, literally, overnight, my back (upper and lower) stiffness and aches went away. I was exuberant. I couldn’t believe that a mattress could make that much difference right away. I also discovered another surprise. For years I’ve had deep pain spots on both sides of my lower spine. I wasn’t necessarily aware of the pain, except for when I pressed down on the spots with my thumb. I’d hit on these excruciatingly painful, seized up muscles that were always tender to the touch. I never knew their cause or source, and just resigned myself to the fact that it was just part of my chronic lower back issue. Well, the PacBed even eliminated the deep pain spots. I dug around with my thumb trying to find them, and they were gone.

So yes, this was a wonderful mattress that exceeded my expectations and was shockingly well priced, especially compared to my parents’ original Tempur-pedic (which they still have, and which shows no signs of slowing down). It wiped out so many spine related issues and sorenesses that I’d just lived with on and off for years and assumed was just part of life. I used to wake up with a paralyzing stiff neck about 2 -3 times a year. I have not had a single stiff neck since buying the PacBed.

Unfortunately, about a year after I purchased the PacBed, I found I had to keep shifting to fresh spots on the mattress to get its full support benefit. I’m 5’4", 128 lbs, so I really don’t put a lot of wear and tear on a mattress. I started shifting all around the mattress, altering my sleep position like the dials on a watch. This strategy worked and I was able to stretch another year of good use and sleep out of my mattress, though I don’t think it’s reasonable for me to have to move around so much to find a supportive spot.

In the last two months or so, I’ve been unable to find a good spot on the mattress, no matter how much I move around. There’s no good support to be found anywhere. Although I still haven’t woken up to a stiff neck, the deep lower back pain spots have returned, and I frequently have difficultly falling asleep at night because I feel my hips sinking in too much and pulling me out of alignment.

If I had written a review about the PacBed right after I’d purchased it, it would be glowing. Almost 2.5 years later, my old problems are back , and the PacBed’s supportiveness has deteriorated. It may also be that the PacBed was at the very limit of the firmness I needed, and the slightest breaking in put it in too soft territory. I can also confirm another thing Phoenix regularly warns about: that people’s perceptions of firmness/comfort are utterly subjective. My PacBed was always too soft for my taste, but I was happy with it because it “healed” me and I got a great night’s sleep. When my sister slept on it while cat-sitting, she said it was so hard that it numbed her arms. Go figure.

This time I did better due diligence on this site, and just ordered a Novosbed Classic. Can’t wait for some nice firm, durable support because my back is desperate for it. Wish me luck!

Hi deco,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed, insightful, and helpful comments and feedback about your longer term experience … I appreciate it!

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t turn out as well as you hoped for over the longer term but perhaps you can take some “comfort” in knowing that your post will be helpful to many other forum members that are also in the process of buying a new mattress and to help them understand the importance of higher quality and more durable materials and making sure that a mattress doesn’t have a “weak link” that can affect the durability and the useful life of a mattress and how long it may be before they may need to buy a new one.

As you know I think you made a good quality/value choice this time and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress and since they also have a great return policy there is also little risk in trying it to make sure that it’s also a good "match for you in terms of PPP.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you also have the chance to share your comments and feedback once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit as well.

Phoenix

Ours got too soft after 6 years and they were great about replacing it. Email them! We got a new one and gave it to our daughter.

Thank you Phoenix. I will definitely update with my impressions of Novosbed, including of their customer service.

Wildgift, thanks for the tip. I’m surprised they replaced your mattress without question after 6 years! I have heard great things about Bedinabox’s customer service, so you have confirmed it. I thought about calling them and letting them know about the center of my mattress caving in and the complete loss of support, though I wasn’t sure that the dip would measure out at 1inch (required for warranty claims), and knew even less how to measure the dip accurately. Ultimately, I didn’t call Bedinabox because I realized I was partly to blame. I probably bought a mattress that was too soft for me to begin with, and that’s no one’s fault but my own. Rather than make Bedinabox send me a replacement mattress which would provide great support for a year and thereafter have me chasing around for firmer spots, I decided to get a firm mattress to begin with that is made of materials that will keep it firm, and hopefully I won’t have to sleep sideways or diagonally or replace it after a year or two.

UPDATE
Unfortunately, my story with Novosbed did not end well, through no fault of anyone, really. I had selected them based on my exhaustive research trying to locate a firm memory foam mattress with quality, high density parts and reasonable prices. Their return policy could not be beat and they consistently get high marks for excellent customer service, so I took the plunge.
My order for the Classic went through as they were on the cusp of retiring the old firm Classic and replacing it with the medium-firm Classic with improved airflow. When I placed my order, the online specs on the Classic were those of the original, and by the time I received my order, the online specs had been updated to reflect the new model Classic.
The unfortunate turn of events is that I received a defective original Classic. I could tell right away since I sank in it much too far, did not get the support I expected, and in fact it was a far less supportive mattress than the 2 year old medium-firm BedInABox it had replaced. It also did not look like a mattress. It never expanded to 10 inches thick (maxed out at about 8.5") and had uneven rounded, undulating edges, and a high and low rolling surface. It looked more like an 80s era futon mattress for your college dorm room sleeper-sofa. Also, the accompanying free pillows never expanded to a normal size.
Novosbed’s customer service was prompt, efficient and courteous. They asked for information and photos to determine whether I had received a defective mattress, or whether my issues were simply the result of my own preferences. They quickly determined that I had received a defective mattress, and they offered to replace it with a new Classic mattress or refund the purchase. They no longer have the original firm king sized Classic in stock, so they could only offer me the new medium-firm Classic mattress. Their customer service advised that the new Classic was similar in feel to the Tempur-Cloud Prima, and that I could test that model out in the showroom to get a sense for what to expect from the new Classic.
Unfortunately, the Tempur-Cloud Prima was too soft for me, so I will not be satisfied with the new Classic. I am left with no option but to return my mattress for a refund. I cannot fault Novosbed, since they did everything a reputable business would do to remedy the situation and make sure the customer was happy. I just happened to have caught a defective mattress (which can happen to any business) at a time when they no longer had an identical model replacement for it. Sheer bad luck.
My quest for a firm foam mattress continues. I may have to start looking into latex mattresses since I heard they are more firm than memory foam. Back to the drawing board :frowning:

Hi deco,

Thanks for the update. I’m sorry to hear that your mattress from Novosbed was defective and as you mentioned your timing is also unfortunate.

On the other hand it’s good to hear that their customer service was so good and that your experience with returning your mattress was as painless as it was.

You certainly have other options available to you either for memory foam or latex (or latex hybrid) mattresses and I’ll be interested in finding out what you end up deciding and of course any additional comments or questions you may have along the way.

As you probably know the tutorial includes several links to the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

Thanks for the follow up and offer Phoenix. The timing really couldn’t be any worse. I’m almost 8 months pregnant and already having a hard time getting comfortable to sleep. Having to start my search over is not only disappointing and exhausting, but very untimely. I’ve lost over 2 weeks during which I’ve grown bigger and far less mobile/comfortable. At this point I don’t have much time or energy to go into local stores, so I’m going to focus exclusively on online distributors who can deliver straight to my door and will pick up returns straight from my door. But for what it’s worth, I’m in Denver, CO.

Hi deco,

Even though you probably won’t need it … at least others that read this topic will have the link available :slight_smile:

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Denver area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Good luck with your next purchase and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix