Bedinabox

Hi elotrolado,

While it’s true that latex in general is more durable than memory foam … they are also an apples to oranges comparison. Memory foam and latex are about as different as two materials can be and the choice between them would normally be based on preference and the many differences in feel and performance rather than “value”. Value comparisons would be more meaningful between mattresses made of the same materials.

Besides the differences in materials … the many different combinations of layering and is the most important part of creating mattresses with different type of feel and performance. Even small changes in layering can make a big difference in how well a mattress meets the needs and preferences of a particular individual. Post #2 here has more about this and the “putting the layers together” section of the site has more as well. Layering is critical to creating the feel and performance that makes one mattress “better” than another for each unique person.

This is something that can only be answered by each person but the 2" of softer material on top can make a large difference in the feel and performance of that mattress and in it’s ability to relieve pressure. For someone that couldnt feel a difference (which would be very unlikely) or for someone where the 6" version worked “perfectly” for their body type, sleeping positions, and preferences … then there would be little benefit or value in choosing a thicker mattress with a softer comfort layer. In the same way … for someone where a 9" mattress with certain layers worked “perfectly” there would also be little benefit in choosing something thicker. For those where the 6" mattress was too thin to produce the feel and performance they wanted … then no matter what the cost difference the thicker mattress would be worth it. There would be little value on a personal level to a mattress that didn’t fit your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences).

I would rather have a mattress that fit my needs and preferences but used lower quality and less durable materials (so it would fit my budget) than have a mattress that didn’t but was better quality and more durable. There is little value IMO of sleeping on a mattress that doesn’t “work” no matter what the quality or value or the materials in it.

Phoenix