Beds Etc....Etc.

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you so much for the incredible education on mattresses. It is priceless.

After much study, I realize I like latex matresses. I have an old sterns and foster (seven years) that has held up well. Iwas told at the time is was latex, now, after speaking a number of times to Shaun at EZ Sleep I realize it was probably synthetic. Oh well, it still was a good mattress.

Am in the market for a new latex. I loved the Talalay, so, armed with much information from you and the helpful Shaun, I went shopping. I went to Beds Etc. which says they sell the verified Latex International talalay. I found a nine inch mattress which felt somewhat firm, and was surprised at its comfort. suprised because I was told that with my issues - fibromyalgia, needing to sleep with head raised - I would need “soft.”

I talked to the woman at the Beds Etc. again today, and am now totally confused. she said their mattresses are medium/firm all talalay. But I am hesitating, and looking for confirmation that this outfit is legit.

Why my hesitation? She offered me a twin delivered, etc. for $1200. Good deal. Perhaps I am just being overly cautious (too much info, too little knowledge:) But can you tell me what, if anything you know about this company.

Thanks so much for being the life raft in these rocky waters!

Hi NiteLife,

Bedsetc is owned by members of the same family as Electropedic and in my conversations with them I have found them to be helpful, open, and knowledgeable and to the degree possible they would certainly provide you with the layering of their mattresses (including the Electropedic models).

It’s always important to make sure you know all the layers in a mattress so you can make meaningful quality and value comparisons with other mattresses that are available to you but they are one of the better “possibilities” in Los Angeles which is why they are included in the Los Angeles list here.

As you are discovering … soft and firm is relative to the person and in the case of latex it can be surprising because even firmer latex is very “point elastic” which means it mirrors the shape of the body very well and is very good at re-distributing body weight and relieving pressure. This is also the reason why more objective and specific testing for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) is more accurate than any “theory”.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I have been to MANY mattress places in the last month. I tried Pure Bliss in Woodland hills, which was too hard for me. And pricey. I also went to one of the very good latex bed makers on the LA list. Their price was okay - 1800 for a twin - but I found I didn;'t need a mattress that could be flipped. And their mattresses were too hard - 17,33,17 - for me.

Before I try to make my own bed from EZ Sleep, I am doing one more round in LA. Because I have fibromyalgia, it is important to get a soft bed with a decent core (not so easy to find).

I went to a little store in Culver City called Interiors Made Eezzy. They are dealers for Diamond Latex, but the Diamond beds were expensive and a bit too hard for me. I thought The Natural might work, but it didn’t.

What did work was a Kathy Ireland Grand Luxury - 14 inches - that was (supposedly) all latex. The specs said 14,18,24,28. It felt amazing. Since the salesperson wasn’t knowledgable about latex, I offered to look it up online for reviews, etc.

I could find nothing about Kathy Ireland’s latex collection. Apparently, it is part of Tempurpedic? But this particular bed - nothing.

Do you know this line, and have an opinion? Specifically, this bed? I don’t want to pay premium for a close out, or something.

Thanks so much for you help!

Hi NiteLife,

Kathy Ireland is part of Therapedic First Lady line not Temperpedic. You can see them listed on the Therapedic website here (although they don’t list the First Lady line).

Like any mattress … it is only as good as the construction and quality of the materials inside it.

If you look at this article you will see that the Grand Luxury has 8" of latex but the most important part is to know where the rest of the materials are which will be polyfoam. If you have too much polyfoam in the comfort layers instead of under the latex … then you will be looking at impression and softening issues … particularly with that much soft foam in the mattress already.

What you want to avoid is too much polyfoam in the upper layers so it’s important to make sure you can find out the specifics of all the layers in the mattress in the right order from top to bottom.

Phoenix

Hi NiteLife,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s nice to see you are almost there and I think you did well. As I mentioned I think the people at Beds Etc are “good people”.

14 ILD is as low as Talalay goes and the three merchants I know who carry 14 ILD toppers are …

3" Blended Talalay Latex Mattress Topper, Save Big with DIY Latex Mattress Components, Latex Mattresses-Talalay and Dunlop, All Products A member of this site.

Brooklyn Bedding NOTE ADDED: Their topper site is now Mattress Topper - Mattress Topper and their softest topper in Talalay is 19 ILD.

Custom Sleep Design Also make zoned toppers with dual firmnesses. NOTE ADDED: Custom Sleep Design went out of business in 2015.

http://puretalalaybliss.com/product/plush-topper/

Phoenix