Bedsunlimited.net LA Area

Wife and I are looking for a King size innerspring mattress near 91304. I’ve been reading through the forum and found the greater LA suggested list. Melvin custom mattress is close to me. They have not been open when I was available and I have only had a brief conversation with them on the phone and a short email.

We did however go to a store nearby us and lay on mattresses to see what felt good to us. Here is a mattress we laid on in store and liked. We liked the medium feel.

816 pocketed coils.
1-3 inches foam.
Foam encasement for side support.
1" all natural Talalay Latex.

It is listed as the “Triple Choice Black Tuxedo Line” on this webpage.
http://www.bedsunlimited.net/valuerest

I called the store and the lady who answered didn’t have an answer for me about the density of the foam. She said she believes it’s 5 pound memory foam. That seems incorrect to me as I don’t think you would use memory foam around the edge and she didn’t say there was any other kind of foam in it.

What would I ask Melvin custom mattress for since they are a manufacturer? Do I just show them this information and let them build from there?

Hi Hdip,

It doesn’t sound correct to me either. The “comfort foam” that is in their general description for “Triple Choice Black Tuxedo Line” would almost certainly be polyfoam not memory foam.

The information you would need to assess a mattress and identify whether it has any weak links or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses is in this article. Once you have this information then you can also compare a mattress you are considering to the guidelines in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Finally getting setup with melvin mattress. To keep it under our preferred budget. She offered a 1 inch layer of latex as opposed to 1.5 inch layer. This week be a double sided mattress. Should we expand our budget the extra $150 or so to get the half inch thicker layer?

Double sided king size Innerspring
Pocket coils
. 5 inch foam
. 5 inch cotton
1 inch talalay latex.

Hi Hdip,

A little thicker layer of latex would give you a slightly softer comfort layer and isolate you a little more from the firmness of the layers or components underneath it so it would depend on which one you would prefer based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience. I can’t feel what you feel or see you sleeping on the mattress with either one so there really isn’t any way for me to know which one you would prefer or that would “fit” you better in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Have you tested both versions … and if you have which one was the best “match” for you?

Phoenix

I thought of another question. What is the benefit of having a foam encasement around the edge? (I tried to search the site before asking) thanks.

Hi Hdip,

The foam encasement around the innersprings is to provide firmer edge support which can be helpful for those that sleep on the outside of their bed to prevent “roll off”, who sit on the edge of their bed, or to make it easier to get in and out of bed. There is more about edge support with innerspring mattresses in post #2 here.

Phoenix