best and worst mattresses at Costco

For the following mattress makers, who do you recommend and who do you suggest to avoid (all at Costco)?

Sleep Science
Barnhart
Novaform
Newfield
Kingman
Astoria
Pritchard

Hi bialy,

I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress or a manufacturer because there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to know which mattress would be best for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). I can help with “how to choose” but not with the specifics of “what to choose”.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between specific mattresses…

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress that can help to identify and minimize the risks involved with each of them in post #2 here.

Outside of how suitable a mattress is in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label and “brand shopping” is among the worst ways to choose a mattress because the name of the manufacturer won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP or whether there are any weak links in the design (see post #5 here and post #12 here).

I would consider any individual mattress (regardless of who makes it) that you are confident would be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or that has a good exchange or return policy if you aren’t) and is completely transparent about the materials and components inside it so you can confirm it meets the quality/durability guidelines here. I would avoid any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the specifics of the materials inside it or that uses more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality or unknown materials in its design.

Phoenix