"Best" Box Spring for our needs?

Hi there.

1st-time poster. It sure looks like there’s a lot of good info here so I’m hoping to get educated on this topic. :slight_smile:

We have a queen-sized Kingsdown mattress with a pillow top. Since we were entirely ignorant on the matter, we got the cheapest box spring available when we took delivery of it ; a whole 90$. :lol:

Believe it or not, this cheap box spring actually now dips in between the slats of our bed! Consequently, our mattress now feels like you’re lying in quicksand. To make matters worse, the box spring makes an ungodly amount of noise whenever anybody climbs in our out, or moves around on the mattress. Instead of cheapening out, I’ve decided to buy a great box spring to firm up our mattress to how it was at the beginning and get rid of the noise once and for all!

My reading has shown me that there are triton-made metal box springs from Simmons that are rated quite high. Are these a solid bet for somebody who is OK with spending 250$ but wouldn’t want to spend twice that amount?

In the end, we want to have a noiseless bed that is quite firm.

Hi Strat-Mangler,

There is more about the different types of foundations that are suitable for different types of mattresses in the foundation post here. It’s normally a good idea to check with the manufacturer to make sure that any foundation you are considering will be suitable for your specific mattress because they can each have different requirements (some mattresses do best with a more flexible box spring with springs inside it and some do best with a rigid non flexing foundation) … but having said that … the Triton will probably be fine.

I would first try your mattress on the floor though to confirm that a firm and evenly supportive surface will the solve the sagging issues and that they are only in the foundation and not in the mattress itself because depending on the type of mattress you have it’s possible that there could be some damage or sagging in the mattress as well.

Phoenix

Hi Strat-Mangler,

Like Pheonix said, you should check to see if the mattress is sagging before you purchase another one. If you find that your mattress is not an issue, check with Kingsdown to determine if using a competing brands foundation/ box spring will void your warranty in the future should any issues arise with the mattress.