Best dunlop latex firmness for stomach sleeper

Hello,

I am considering a natural dunlop (continuous pour method) latex mattress and can’t decide on firmness. Based on my BMI and frame (5’5" 160), I am sort of inbetween a Medium and Firm:

The MEDIUM is two layers of 3" Natural Medium Latex over one layer of 3" Natural Firm Latex.
The FIRM is one layer of 3" Natural Medium Latex over two layers of 3" Natural Firm Latex.

I am primarily a stomach sleeper and occasional side sleeper or a stomach-side combination sleeper. I need support to prevent my back from arching but also don’t want to have pressure point issues.

Help! Do I go Medium or Firm? The manufacturer I am considering is Spindle. They do have a comfort adjustment policy and with that in mind, do I try the Medium first and change to a Firm later, if need be OR start with a Firm and change to a Medium, if necessary?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi SleeplessinNJ,

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use a formula or for anyone that doesn’t have extensive experience with a mattress you are considering to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If you are uncertain about your layer firmness choices when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer (such as Spindle) that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

As you probably know from your reading here I think highly of Spindle and they are one of the members of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

You are certainly looking a great quality/value choice and If I was in your shoes I would make your layer firmness choices based on the results of a more detailed phone conversation with Spindle.

Phoenix