Best low cost innerspring that would hold up with layering latex or foam?

Hi, I too have a mattress problem. :slight_smile:

I’m a 6’0" 155lb side and back sleeper and I’m moving on the first of Dec. I’m currently on a forced leave for my job until April, so I’m on a budget of around $700 max shipped. I’m also pretty adaptable as I’m a flight attendant so I’ve slept on hundreds of hotel beds, and that’s one of the reasons I’m comfortable with ordering a bed before lying on one. The other is COVID and I’m just not willing to risk it.

After diving in thinking research would be easy, I’ve fallen into this rabbit hole and know that I would like to do it myself rather than paying for something custom as I’m sure that’s out of my budget.

I’ve decided to go with a cheaper firm/medium firm (open to recommendations to go with one or the other) Queen innerspring with 1-2 inches max of foam built in. I’m looking to layer a soft 3 inch talalay latex on top of that and if it feels off, I’ll add another foam topper. I’m also not wanting my mattress to have fiberglass so that rules out a number of the cheaper manufacturers from China, like Zinus. I’m also not a fan of all foam because I like some bounce for…um, activities.

My bed frame is the Queen IKEA BRIMNES as I’ve learned that’s also an important factor.

Here’s the talalay latex I’m considering.

Innersping Ideas:
Max Rest - Double Regular Top - $225
Max Rest - Double Pillow Top - $315
I’m guessing the above 2 are bonnell coils.
Posture Sense - Double Regular Top (pocketed coils) - $599
Note Flexus does not list warranties with the above beds, but I think they probably have them? Will contact once I narrow it down. There’s a black friday sale of %10 off and also I might not have to layer anything should the posture sense feel right.
IKEA HAUGESUND - $249
I’m shying away from this one from reading reviews and complaints unless someone has had a positive experience with it?

Also just found the DIY section at Arizona Premium Mattress:
Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa - Pocketed Coils - $279+ ~$65 Shipping
Combi-Zone Pocket Coil by Leggett and Platt - $350+ ~$85 Shipping
I’m guessing the Leggett and Platt system is the same as the Posture Sense by Flexus?

Anyone with leads with other low cost pocket coil or offset coil mattresses that would hit my budget? Anyone have a solid experience with doing this? From my research, it seems like coils are usually not the weak link in most beds, and by layering a new mattress, with latex, that would also extend the life of the mattress. Open to all of your knowledge and experience! Thank you!

Hi ZTrev10.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

You’re in the right place for sharing and researching mattress problems! Welcome to the club! “Easy” or not it’s really nice to see you are doing good research before pulling the trigger.

I appreciate you sharing your stats, history, and budgetary restrictions; DIY can be quite an adventure so hopefully some guidance will help with the DIY puzzle and shine some light down the “rabbit hole”.

This is a good starting point. Hotel mattresses tend to be medium firm but one puzzle piece that may slightly change things is your primary sleeping position. Did that factor into the decision you made to choose a firm/medium firm innerspring unit?

Depending of your sleeping position a 2"- 3" Talalay sounds good but I would tread carefully when it comes to layering toppers on top of one another. Very few people need 6" of comfort foam and it can actually be counterproductive and negatively impact your spinal alignment. Very basically put, most people require only 1" to 4" of foam in their comfort layers. Read more here for the ideal, recommended number of inches required in the comfort layer depending on sleeping positions.

Again, depending of your needs and preferences - as an example - if you are a side sleeper and 3" of soft Talalay latex isn’t working for you, to instead try configurations of 2" of soft and 2" of medium, etc.

Talalay is also a good choice because of its responsiveness it doesn’t cause the “stuck in the sand” feeling like memory foam beds and is generally considered a bouncy, lively, and temperature neutral material which is good for…many “activities”. :slight_smile: ….Again, not so much if you’re layering topper on top of topper.

Sleep On Latex is one of our Trusted Members with excellent products and customer support which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry

[quote]Innersping Ideas:
Max Rest - Double Regular Top - $225
Max Rest - Double Pillow Top - $315
I’m guessing the above 2 are bonnell coils.
Posture Sense - Double Regular Top (pocketed coils) - $599
Note Flexus does not list warranties with the above beds, but I think they probably have them? Will contact once I narrow it down. There’s a black friday sale of %10 off and also I might not have to layer anything should the posture sense feel right.
IKEA HAUGESUND - $249
I’m shying away from this one from reading reviews and complaints unless someone has had a positive experience with it?
[/quote]

That’s correct…the Max Rest Double Regular Top and Double Pillow Top both use Bonnell Coils.
I see no good reason to go for the pillowtop unless you want more height, but I’d be concerned about the 1.5" of 1.5 lb from the durability standpoint. 1" is what I usually recommend for lower density foams to avoid any sagging due to foam breakdown overtime.
Flexus would certainly offer a warranty, but I don’t see it listed for these particular products. It’s always good to clarify any return, exchange, and warranty policies prior to making a purchase.

As for the Ikea mattress, I agree with you “shying away” from it mainly because of the foam polyurethane perimeter foam 1.7 lb which is below the recommended durability guidelines here The layer above the springs is also Polyurethane foam 1.5 lb/cu.ft., /cu.ft. It looks like this unit has several weak links that would be a cause for concern relative to its durability and useful life.
As a rule, I’d keep away from other people’s reviews of mattresses. People often review mattresses far too early after receiving them, and reviews lack specific information about all the variables that can contribute to the suitability of a mattress (like details about the person and the mattress) that would make them more meaningful/accurate. I’d suggest reading about the dangers of making a purchase based on reviews here. The same goes for review sites that more like revenue sites.

[quote]Also just found the DIY section at Arizona Premium Mattress:
Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa - Pocketed Coils - $279+ ~$65 Shipping
Combi-Zone Pocket Coil by Leggett and Platt - $350+ ~$85 Shipping
I’m guessing the Leggett and Platt system is the same as the Posture Sense by Flexus?[/quote]

The Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa (Pocketed Coils) is different than the Caliber Edge (used in the Posture Sense mattress) in that the “head” and “base” of the mattress use “Quantum” coils which are firmer that the “Caliber” coils (which appear in the sides of the mattress). The Combi-Zone is a zoned coil system that features strategically placed zones meant to offer additional support to the hips, back, and shoulders.
But yes, they are all Leggett and Platt systems.

You’re quite right that coils, especially when someone is of a normal BMI, are rarely the weak link in a mattress (and that usually due to manufacturing defects). We’ve had a number of people complete successful enhancement and DIY projects - if you search the forum for their threads, you’ll be sure to find them. You’re welcome to read or reach out with questions - or the alternative option is to chat with a DIY expert like Ken Hightower at Arizona Premium. He has a dedicated forum here on the site and is well versed in this topic and will help guide you in any direction you are considering.

It looks like you’d be able to create a successful set up with a little guidance and testing! Looking forward to your progress.

Phoenix