Best Matress Protector for Serta iComfort

My wife and I have had a Serta iComfort for about 2 years and we both love it. The problem we have is with the mattress protector we got when we bought it. We purchased from a local furniture store and they informed us how picky the manufacturers are with their warranties and their return policy also stated we must use a waterproof mattress and we purchased the one they offered. The protector we have is a Protect-A-Bed but I don’t remember which one exactly.

It recently melted slightly in one spot while in the dryer and we have been unhappy with it in general due to the degree to which it interferes with the memory foam. When we lay on the bed with no sheets/protector while changing the sheets it is glorious, but with the protector on it is not nearly as form fitting. I tend to sleep quite warm and sweat a fair amount and wish we didn’t need the protector but I don’t want to risk voiding our warranty with any stains from ourselves or our pets so I recognize the need for a protector unfortunately.

I have read around here a little but haven’t come to any great conclusions and was hoping to get some opinions.

Serta offers a protector specifically for their iComfort series and it is tempting as I would hope they would offer a good product to compliment the line but it is somewhat pricey ($140 from Serta, $130 on Amazon): http://www.serta.com/buy-mattress/serta-brands/mattress-protectors/icomfort-mattress-protector-w-pillow-protector

I found one on Amazon for $32 which has mostly good, but mixed reviews: Amazon.com

I’m looking ideally for something that will protect the mattress but retain as much of the memory foam action as possible and as a bonus would help me sleep cooler.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi griff_ka,

Post #89 here has more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors including the thinner membrane type that you have and are considering and some comments and sources for some of them.

In general these types of protectors will have less effect on memory foam than the other types of protectors (depending to some degree on the fabric that is used to bond the membrane) but the membranes are also less breathable than other types of protectors so for some people they can sleep warmer (depending on the other variables that can also affect sleeping temperature that are discussed in post #2 here). The tendency for some people to sleep warmer would be common to all protectors that use a semi breathable membrane.

A forum search on malouf protector will also bring up a few more comments about it. For the most part they seem to work well for most people (but that’s also the case for other similar protectors).

Phoenix