Best mattress for hot sleepers

Hi Phoenix,

First I want to commend you on a wonderful website.  I have just spent an hour reading the thread about the i comfort series.  I have been shopping for a mattress for about 2 weeks now, and am no closer to a solution.  What I need most is information on which mattresses or materials induce the coolest nights sleep.  After lying on the i comfort revolution mattress I thought the claims were correst about the cooling gel.  After reading the strings on your website I am not so sure that is the case.  I have bounced between sleep number, tempur pedic, and i comfort just looking for anything that will give me a good night sleep ( it has been so long).

I am a back and side sleeper 6’1" 186#, My wife is primarily a side sleeper 5’0" 130#. I was primarily a waterbed sleeper till for about 6 years, then pillow top for the last 10. I am using your website to help myself figure out what is likely the best for me. Also, I know you are primarily about mattresses, but if you have any opinion on adustable beds and their contributions or lack there of to a better nights sleep that would be very welcome information also.

Thank you.

In the alternative, if you know of any of those factory outlets you have mentioned in other threads that are located in the inland empire region of California (riverside or corona) area that would be great. With all the information I have already gotten off this site, my first choice would be to go with a company who is a member of this site.

Hi resilience,

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

There are quite a few factors that either by themselves or in combination with each other can lead to a mattress sleeping hotter or cooler. Post #11 here and post #2 here have more about the different factors that can affect sleeping temperature. The new types of gel foams can certainly have an incremental effect and for some people this can make a difference (if they are sleeping on the gel foam and it is not too deep in the mattress). Because gel memory foam is still memory foam though and will allow more sinking in than other faster recovery foams and conform more closely to the body … some people can still tend towards sleeping hot with them (which explains the comments you will read where some people say it makes a difference and others say it had no effect) and need to “correct” other factors as well to get to their preferred sleeping temperatures.

I like adjustable beds and have one myself but for most people it is a nice luxury rather than a necessity. They can be useful (under the guidance of a health professional) for certain more “medical” conditions (acid reflux, some heart or circulatory conditions and others) and in some cases for pure back sleepers can be pressure or pain relieving and may even help with snoring if they are raised during sleep but for the vast majority of people they are best used flat while sleeping (for those who spend any time on their side or stomach) and the adjustable features are just a luxury for reading, watching TV etc. The best value that i know and a good reference point for pricing on adjustable beds is here (which is where I bought my Reverie Deluxe).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the information.  Before I came to this site I didn't even know latex mattresses were an option, but after cruising this website I find myself anxious to try one out.  I plan to go to the flexus company which I got off your subscriber page, they are relatively close to me and I believe worth the time.

Can you tell me what you think about the outlast technology that sleep number is promoting? Is it possible to have that material woven into a mattress if we have it made at a factory direct? From everything I have read it leads me to believe that it is the breathability in the mattress above most other factors that determine the temperature of the mattress; be it through the coils, or the layers of foam, or the ventialted sides of the mattress casings.

As important as it sleep is, I am hoping to find a quality mattress that will last without paying the inflated retail chain prices for a mostly inferior product it would seem. The best I found and you would be more of an expert on this to tell me if the price is astronomical is the i comfort revolution w/ serta adjustable base for choke $5600.00 for the split cal king. And that was choke $2500 less than the tempur pedic cloud supreme w/ adjustable base.

The adjsutable base is something I am not sure will work or not. I had knee surgery done 18 months ago, and needed to sleep with my knee elevated. I was able to fall asleep quicker and deeper but was awaken because the elevation was only done with pillows and therefore easily displaced after I fell asleep. That is the only benefit to the small retail chain I found called sleep train. Their 90 day sleep trial is totally free for both mattress and base. please let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

Have a good night and thanks again for this informative website.

Hi resilience,

I think your trip there will be well worthwhile and they make some very high quality and value mattresses.

There are quite a few temperature regulating covers/tickings that are being used in many mattresses that have been out for isome time but in the current marketing blitz about cooler mattresses they are becoming much more common. Some such as Coolmax use moisture wicking as a cooling method and some such as Outlast use phase change materials that both store and release heat as temperature changes. Both are incrementally effective although by themselves they may not be enough to regulate the temperature of a “hotter” and less breathable memory foam. Most of the rush to bring out cooler fabrics has been a response to memory foam in any case because other foams … and especially latex … are already much cooler than the denser more closed celled memory foams but they too have started using them because of the marketing benefits attached to “cool sleeping” materials whether they are needed or not. In the rush towards more hi tech fabrics (and there are others that have other benefits such as increasing oxygen levels in the blood) some of the benefits of natural fibers such as wool have been “forgotten” even though they too can be very effective. Each manufacturer would have their own ticking/quilting supplier (although In Flexus Comfort’s case they are one of the few that sill make their own which is much less common) and it would be worthwhile asking Henry what he has available because this would vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I don’t consider the iComfort to be very good value and would certainly look elsewhere before considering this. Their motion perfect base is made by Ergomotion which also makes a very similar model with similar features which you can see here for much less. The Tempurpedic adjustable base is made by Reverie and the similar model they make called the deluxe is also here for much less. (This is the one I bought)

Having a money back guarantee is fine (although I believe it adds more to the cost of their mattresses and I much prefer buying from a manufacturer who will make custom adjustments if necessary rather than starting all over again) but in the case of Sleep train (their site says 100 days) or most chain stores there isn’t a single mattress I would consider has good value or that I would consider buying so for me a guarantee would be a moot point.

Phoenix

hi Phoenix,

Thanks again for you quick, insightful response.  Could you send me any other manufacturing options to go with flexus?  I would like to see if there are more choices for the quilting/wicking options out there along with not setteling for just one manufacturing option.

Thanks. I will let you know how things go with Henry.

Hi resilience,

Post #2 here has a list of various options in the greater LA area with a few comments about each. Please note that these are not “recommendations” (except for Flexus) but simply options that may have better value in the area.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

I am a hot sleeper as well, in January I bought a memory foam mattress from Tempflow (www.tempflow.com). It was between that and the Icomfort. Because of the construction all memory foam matresses will tend to heat up but I have found the tempflow does not get too hot and does disipate the heat rather quickly. Another thing to consider is the protector that you use. I first tried a product that was supposed to allow the air to pass through a breathable membrane. It heated up my tempflow I spoke with Tempflow and the Doc sent sent me out a protector made of all organic cotton ( I did a review which I have to send him) I found that with the cotton protector the bed temp was pretty much the same as without a protector (this portector will not protect against spills) however but you can just remove the protector to clean instead of having to remove the ticking. Overall I am hapy with my tempflow. If you are in the L.A area you should check out thier showroom,t hey told me they also have a latex model but I didnt see it there. By the way the temp readings I have gotten are on average around 84 degrees.

Hi Phoenix and Rskman,

Thank you both very much for the information.  After speaking with henry at flexus we have decided upon a full talalay latex mattress. 6" support core and 3" topper.  We are checking prices on adjustable bases and are between the Leggitt and Platt S-Cape and prodigy models, as well as the ergomotion 400 and the reveire deluxe.

Will let you know how the search goes and our review of the bed.

Thanks again.

Hi resilience,

Congratulations on your new mattress. I think you did well and as you know I have high respect for Flexus and Henry. I hope you let them know you are a member here for the extra 5% discount :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had a chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

I have a quick question for you.  I got my mattresses from henry and so far so good, I wanted to ask you before I went to Henry when possibly not neccessary.  A couple of days after I got my mattress, my sheets came and I had asked henry the width of the mattresses because I was special ordering sheets for it.  The bed ended up a little over half and inch shorter than he specified.  I opened up the mattress and measured the support core wheich is spec'd at 6" and the comfort level with is spec'd at 3".  When i measured the 2 parts both we about 1/2 inch less than spec'd.  My question to you is, should I be seeing that much difference in the pads due to any kind of compression or other facet of latex mattresses?

Any info you could give me would be great. I plan to contact Henry tomorrow and would like your input on this before I do.

Thanks again for all your help. By the way, we went with the prodigy S-Cape model.

Hi Resilience,

Latex cores vary from about 5.6" to 6" and half cores would be half of this (so 3" would actually be 2.8"). It depends on the manufacturer who supplies the latex and the molds they are using. Latex International for example has both 5.6" and 6" cores. Length and width are also not “exact” and it will depend on where you measure (top or middle etc) because the ticking will also pull in the soft material.

So it’s not the latex compressing just to ease your mind … that will take a long time :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi

Here it a great solution! Do not worry about if the mattress is hot to sleep on or not, I have a memory foam mattress that I love but I was sleeping way too hot on it. It was so comfortable but way too hot. I found the Feel Cooler mattress pad at www.coolingmattress.com , this pad blocks the heat build up in the mattress and it actually cools you down! It has a wonderful cool feel to it when you get in bed at night!
With the Feel Cooler bedding you can cool down any mattress!

best

The Ranger