Best mattress for the plus size people

I have had too firm and too soft. I don’t want to go back there again , both lead to lower back spasms.
I am worried latex won’t have any contour at all.
I have always had pillowtops till I switched to memory foam, I like that cozy feeling.

Ari - Latex is both very conforming and supportive, I have a strong preference for it compared to memory foam and I’m also a big guy at 6’4" and 270 lbs. One major difference is that latex is much quicker in response and rebounding to its original uncompressed state while most memory foam is much slower to respond. I’d strongly suggest that you try out some latex mattresses if possible to feel the difference for yourself.

Hey, this is exactly the thread I was looking for!

My BMI fluctuates a bit but is basically 40. At that weight, is latex or innerspring simply a better bet than foam?

Also, has anyone in the upper 30s or low 40s had good luck with the Brooklyn Bedding BME? Feature-wize it seems to be pretty much what I want, but I’m not finding much longterm durability info from heavier people.

One more thing I neglected to mention that I find to be a major benefit of latex over memory foam is that it’s much more breathable so it sleeps cooler. Memory foam tends to build up and reflect your body heat so that it sleeps warm, I would often find myself waking up with a sweat when sleeping on it. Manufacturers have used additives like “cooling gel” and graphite to memory foam in an attempt to help it sleep cooler but these are like band aids trying to cover up a basic material property. Latex in contrast is an open cell design which naturally breathes, and I find it sleeps temperature neutral and does not build up or reflect your body heat. Of course this is all based on my experience and YMMV applies.

O_D_O - As another high BMI person in my experience most pocketed coil designs do not hold up over time under such weights. There are some conventional innerspring designs which are engineered for larger individuals (sold under names like Heavy Duty, Medicoil, Extended Life, etc.) which are long lasting but tend to be very firm by nature. What I’ve found to work well is one of those heavy duty innersprings combined with a latex topper, to provide the comfort and body conforming layer of cushioning on top of the solid underlying support of coils. Another good alternative is an all latex mattress, since latex itself tends to be very durable and holds up well. Memory foam on the other hand does generally not hold up very well under higher loads and will become more compressed and lose its support over time. Of course everyone has different needs and preferences so I can’t stress enough how important it is to try different combinations for yourself, or if you can’t to order from a company like many of the members of this forum who have good return policies. Good luck and I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for the reply! That’s basically what I was figuring from my research.

The more I look at my furniture arrangement, the more I realize I’m probably going to wind up sleeping on the edge of my bed and will need edge support. So probably innerspring mattress with a latex topper is the way to go.

Hi
Likely I’ll try latex next because there is nothing left lol innerspring in the past I had to have pillowtop or memory foam topper on them or they just were not comfortable
Thanks for the ideas!