Best Mattress for Us

Hi,

My husband and I are looking to upgrade to a king size mattress and want it to be as natural as possible (doesn’t have to be organic, but low off-gassing is important). We also want it to be good on motion transfer as I’m a light sleeper. Would like to spend under $1500.

I was very close to ordering the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams mattress (I’m aware they’re a member of this site) until I read the negative reviews that stated the bed began to sag after a year or so. I’ve been looking at total latex mattresses and am wondering if all latex mattresses sag after a certain period of time? If anyone has good experience with total latex and can recommend a specific mattress at or below our price point I would appreciate it! I’m hesitant to buy online but I haven’t found many affordable options locally. I’ve also looked at the American Sleep Organic mattress from Sam’s, but its more than I want to spend.

I’ve read Post 21 and it was very helpful, I’m just hoping I can get input on mattresses that meet our specific criteria.

Thank you in advance!

Hi DH333,

Some of the information in post #2 here may help you decide on the type of materials you are comfortable including in your mattress in terms of “safety” and VOC’s.

In very general terms … memory foam is the “best” for motion isolation but latex and pocket coils are also very good at isolating motion between couples as well (see post #18 here). Support cores that use innersprings that are joined together with helical wires (not pocket coils) will generally transfer more motion than other types of materials and components.

There is also more about the pros and cons of memory foam vs latex in post #6 here.

Latex is the most durable of all the foam materials and it will soften and sag less than any other type of foam regardless of which manufacturer uses it in their mattresses. There is more about the variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here.

The Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams has a much lower percentage of people that experience sagging than you would normally find in a mattress in this budget range or that uses lower quality materials but there are some comments in post #2 here that will put some of the comments about sagging into better perspective.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict whether any specific mattress will be a good match for someone else in terms of PPP based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” and when you can’t test a specific mattress in person … then the the best source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online manufacturer or retailer who will know more about their own mattresses and how well they are likely to “match” different body types and sleeping positions based on the “averages” of their customers than anyone else and can help “talk you through” the options they have available that would have the best chance of success (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is also more in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix

Thank you! I read all of your links and have decided I do want a total latex mattress and I will have to order online since I haven’t found any latex mattresses in our price range locally (unless you can recommend any stores that may carry these in Tulsa).

Since we’ve narrowed it down to total latex and to ordering online can you recommend any mattress companies that sell total latex at our price point? I came across another post where you listed 10 or so companies but can’t find it now, and some of those were out of our price range. Also, when ordering online from companies you recommend, do most have a return policy or does that vary between company?

Thanks!

Thanks! Now I want a total latex mattress too… I’m leaning towards a Sleep EZ. Either a 10000 or a 13000.

Hi DH333,

The mattress shopping tutorial includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of them make latex or latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex with a wide range of designs, features, options, and price ranges.

Posts #3 and #4 here also incudes some of the lower budget latex and latex hybrid options I’m aware of as well.

Some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Tulsa, OK area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Most online companies have some type of return or exchange policy but the specifics vary widely between companies and sometimes between specific mattresses (for example component mattresses allow for individual layer exchanges that aren’t possible with most mattresses where the entire mattress would need to be returned or exchanged).

Phoenix

Thanks!

I found the Eco Sleep mattress at Matresses.net for only $877…am I missing something? The price seems to low.

Sleep EZ…will I feel the difference between a 7",9", or 10" mattress? Does the depth effect the durability?

I’m basically looking at the two above and Spindle. I’ll search the forum for specifics on these companies but if you have anything to add I’d appreciate it!

Thanks!

Hi DH333,

This is a latex/polyfoam hybrid that is available with either a 2" or a 3" layer of latex. It would certainly be a good quality/value choice and would be well worth considering. They recently added the option of a 2" or 3" comfort layer and added a more complete description of the mattress to their site so I also added it to the list of lower budget options I linked in my last reply as well.

There is more about a latex polyfoam hybrid vs an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

That would depend on the specifics of the materials inside the mattress more than just the thickness alone because thickness is only one of many variables that can affect how a mattress feels and performs but even if all the layers would otherwise be the same most people would feel a difference yes. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. It would have little to no effect on durability … only on PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

You are certainly looking at some good quality/value options and there are no weak links in any of them.

When you are down to finalists that are between “good and good” and there are no clear winners between them then you are in a good position where any one of them would make a good choice and your final choice (see post #2 here) will really come down to a matter of “best judgement” based on your more detailed phone conversations with each of them and all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you again! Last question (I think!), I read that dust mites (or bed bugs, something undesireable) are attracted to wool beds. Would that apply to the wool cover on the Mattresses.net beds?

Thanks!

Hi DH33,

There is more about dust mites in post #2 here but wool has natural properties that can actually help with dust mites because of its ability to control humidity and its lanolin content (see post #9 here) and if you have a mattress protector on top of the wool layer or quilting that prevents skin cells from reaching the wool (which dust mites feed on) then wool wouldn’t be an issue with dust mites.

Bed Bugs are a completely different issue that has nothing to do with the type of mattress you have or the materials inside it (they can infest your home regardless of the type of mattress you have) and if your home is infested with bedbugs then you would need to take measures to eliminate them just like any other pest infestation.

There is also more about mattress protectors (that can also help with dust mites to some degree) in post #89 here and there is more about mattress encasements that can protect against allergens and prevent bed bugs from getting into your mattress (or biting you if they are already inside) in post #2 here.

Phoenix