Best mattress protector for memory foam that won't interfere with feel

I am curious what you think is the best mattress protector for a memory foam bed (I am getting a cool foam bed so i really would like to remain cool on this bed) and also not really interfere with the feel of the bed.

I’ve heard about the St. Dormier, but not sure if it’d be too thick and mess with the feel of the bed? I’ve also heard about protect-a-bed, but again i’m worried about the breathability of it, as well as the Luxa.

I don’t need completely waterproof at all. Just something to would help stop like sweat and give a little bit of protection.

Hi jaswhite,

Post #89 here talks about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and has some good examples of each.

The St Dormier is one of the suggestions mentioned there and it’s both thin (for a wool protector) and stretchy and would have less effect on a memory foam mattress than others that were thicker and less stretchy but by the very nature of having a thin wool layer it would affect the memory foam a little more than the other two types (the thinner membrane type and the stretch cotton type).

Phoenix

So after spending $2k on a SleepEZ mattress, I will spend whatever it takes to protect it.

My concerns are dust mites and of course the cover being waterproof.

I found this thread.this thread. However when you search on Amazon, even those with really high average ratings - end up having some 1 star ratings stating that their mattress was ruined because it really isn’t waterproof.

The Luna Premium, the SafeRest Premium, and maybe 1 or 2 others both fitting the above… Great overall reviews, but then some really horrible ones that make me question the quality.

I can’t find any reviews on the Healthguard or SafetyShield.

I wonder how much of the problem is the fact that you really can’t have something breathable and waterproof - versus the companies just trying to remain competitive (inexpensive) and not doing a very good job?

In my case - I have no problem spending $100 if it is going to work - block dust mites, be waterproof, not tear.

But I can’t seem to find one that will definitely suit my needs regardless of the cost.

Any up to date thoughts on high quality waterproof mattress protection?

Hi JackBauer,

I think that this is part of the category itself rather than a particular manufacturer because the membranes can melt or break down with higher heat (or not following care instructions) which is the cause of most of the problems that you read about.

There are also differences between the types of membranes that are used (see the end of post #2 here) but this isn’t the type of technical information that you would be able to find out when you purchase your protector. Anything waterproof will also be less breathable and can affect temperature regulation.

Any washable mattress protector will prevent skin flakes from reaching the mattress which are the primary source of food for dust mites and any protector that is more breathable can also reduce the buildup of moisture in a mattress and humidity levels inside the mattress can also have a big effect on the dust mite population. There is more about dust mites in post #2 here.

The post I linked (and the links it includes) are up to date and talk about the tradeoffs involved between the main types of mattress protectors available.

Phoenix

We use this material for our massage table toppers with great success, and its made in Canada
http://www.zenima.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42&Itemid=81&lang=en

hope this will help

cheers

Thanks.

I’m seriously considering the Serta SleepToGo Elite Encasement.

I’m a bit concerned with no real reviews out there. But it has ScotchGuard and silver ions, and made by a reputable company. (And you can remove the top without removing the mattress)

I still am not sure on encasement versus protector - in that with my bed frame it will not be super easy to remove/wash/replace.

However after spending $2k on a mattress, I like the idea of protecting attackers from all directions. An encasement will keep it pristine clean for a very long time.

Hi JackBauer,

An encasement completely surrounds the mattress and is generally used for people with more severe allergies to dust mites or for those who have bed bugs in their mattress.

A mattress protector protects the top surface of the mattress (sometimes down the side as well) and is much easier to remove and wash like a sheet. It will also help protect the mattress from skin flakes which is the main source of food for dust mites.

A waterproof protector can reduce the ventilation in the mattress which can increase sleeping temperature (waterproof membranes don’t ventilate as well as wool or cotton mattress protectors) and this would be worse with an encasement which has the membrane on all 6 sides. A waterproof encasement can also contribute to moisture buildup inside the mattress which doesn’t evaporate as easily.

For most people that don’t have significant allergies to dust mites a protector that can be removed would be the preferred choice.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix.

That’s what the experts say and I’d kind of overlooked their advice - figuring the extra effort might be worth it with an encasement.

However you just gave a good technical reason why an encasement might be counterproductive - moisture build-up inside.

So many of these protectors claim to be waterproof (sometimes they more properly claim water resistant), but say that the material breathes… Which to me means that it is not a water VAPOR barrier - even if it did happen to be liquid waterproof.

Eh, still don’t know what I’m going to buy, probably a protector based on your thoughts regarding moisture - but still not sure which one. My priority is probably waterproof over sleeping hot as you can control that to a good degree by taking sheets / blankets off (in my mind).

My wife happens to be extremely allergic to dust mites, and we have a dust mite encasement (happens to be cotton, and not with a moisture barrier). Anyhow, one thing to note with encasements is they can be a pain to put on.

Latex is really heavy, and it’s not entirely trivial to slide a heavy, rubbery, queen/king mattress into an encasement. I ended up disassembling the king mattress and rebuild it inside the encasement. Obviously, different methods could be used, and also would depend on your mattress and the design of the encasement.

Oh yes - I know… That’s why the only encasements I considered are two-piece, where you could take the top off to wash it, and of course makes it easier to install (by putting it under your mattress before you start assembling it)

I should have been so lucky - 2 piece sounds genius to me! On the bright side, the dust mite encasement I got has amazing and thick durable fabric, with one of the smallest average pore sizes I’ve seen. Breathes really good and no heat issues. I generally don’t know it’s on the bed. All very good things if you don’t want to know you have a dust mite cover and have it last well… Regretfully, it’s a 1 piece design that zips open 1/2 the way only.

This is what I have on my current mattress.

I don’t think it is waterproof - maybe tightly woven enough to be water resistant.

I do not expect any real water issues - just after spending $2k with an expectation that my latex mattress will last OVER 20 years, it seems prudent to get something fully waterproof. As I was told by a mattress store employee today - one that loves her own latex mattress, that water will break down the latex, so make sure you have a good cover over it. (Already was planning, hence my posts - just she happened to chime in and mention how critical it is.)

I know the sentiment.

For dust mites, on the king mattress we have this:
http://www.tmasc.ca/dust-mite-bed-bug-mattress-encasements/crescent-moon-organic-mattress-encasement.html

… which is identical to this:

And then for mattress protectors (happened to have this inside the encasement on the king mattress for maximum dust mite relief, though I’d prefer it on the outside of the encasement), we have this:
http://www.tmasc.ca/organic-mattress-pad-protectors/green-sleep-vasilo-organic-cotton-mattress-pad.html

We don’t have any specific water resistant covers.

Hi JackBauer,

She is misinformed because water doesn’t break down latex although some liquids will. The biggest enemy of latex is oxidation from ozone and ultraviolet light but you can see a list of the things that can break down latex here.

Phoenix

hey the best mattress protector i have found that doesn’t take away from my amazing mattress; was one i got from http://www.protectabed.com/content/mattress_protectors.asp . good luck ya’ll