Best Memory Foam Simplified Mattress for High BMI people

I want to buy a memory foam mattress online but I am 250lbs and worried about durability. I reviewed the Simplified Choice topic but none of the memory foam mattresses are without concern. I generally sleep on my back and like a medium firmness with a quicker response than traditional memory foam. Which options would be most appropriate?
Thanks
Steve
Ps - Actually I should clarify, I would also consider a spring mattress, just want to avoid latex as I tried it and didnt like it.

Hi St3v3k4hn,

You are correct that many of the “bed-in-a-box” options (without latex as you don’t like that feel) would be cautioned for those in a higher BMI range. Those in a higher BMI range want to be especially prudent in the choice of their components. For those in a higher BMI range, there is more information about selection a mattress in the durability guidelines here. Specifically,

If your BMI is 30 or higher:

Higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress.

Polyurethane foam: If your mattress is one sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

There is a good synopsis of the basics of memory foam here.

You would probably be better off considering companies who aren’t necessarily one-size-fits-all companies, but instead manufacturers who can offer various memory foam products of which some can use higher quality foams that are more appropriate for your situation.

You can look online and use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of memory foam and other options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Their detailed knowledge of their mattresses and how they fit with different body types, including high BMIs, and sleeping positions along with your feedback from local testing, a customer base of many people that they can use as reference points, and any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase. These online retailers or manufacturers can also be a good “value reference” for local purchases to make sure that if you are paying a “premium” for a local purchase (in exchange for the kind of “in person” guidance, service, and value that comes with dealing with a local retailer that can help you make more “accurate” choices that you have tested in person) is not too high.

In addition to the online members of the site listed in the previous membership link … post #12 here has some of the better online memory foam options for those who are looking for a memory foam mattress.

Please let us know how you progress!

Phoenix

Ok, so I’ve been doing my homework here and on a few other sites. As noted above, I am looking for a medium firm foam mattress (not latex) that sleeps reasonably cool, doesnt get significantly softer as it warms during the night, and reacts reasonably quickly. I am looking for higher density foams (5lbs+ for memory foam, 2.0+ lbs for poly foams) that will be durable. I am also looking for a long trial period and a free return if I am unhappy with the mattress (ideally they come get it so I don’t need to re-box it). When you plug all that in, you are left with… well, pretty much nothing! The mattresses that seem to come closest are:

1. Novosbed medium firmness (5.0 density memory foam in top layers but only 1.8lb poly foam in base). Great trial period and return policy. Optional comfort topper layer that can soften or firm bed. Not sure how heat sensitive / slow reacting this is but its supposed to be similar to the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme so I can at least see if I like that before ordering.
  2. Tuft and Needle. All polyfoam bed, which might be good because I really like sleeping on couches. Theoretically somewhere between latex and memory foam with the advantages of both and the disadvantages of neither! Magic! Only 2 layers, so simple, which I like. Top layer ok, base layer only 1.8 lb density, Excellent 100 night sleep trial, free easy return.
  3. Rocky Mountain Mattress has some excellent looking mattresses that do use all higher density materials, like the Brighton (4 inches of 5 lb memory foam over 6.5" of Ultracel™ U3000 foam which I believe is 2.5lb?). Doesnt really say if its soft, medium or firm but I can call them for details. 90 day trial period is fine, but to return it you need to repack it in box and pay an undisclosed amount for return shipping.

I’m sure there must be other sellers out there that good make mattresses with high density foams and good trial and return policies, but I couldn’t find them. Suggestions?

Thanks.

I ordered the Tuft and Needle today. Its so cheap, and the warranty is so good, I decided to take a chance. This bed is for a vacation house, and I need something there by next week.

Also, I tested the Tempurpedic mattress that was supposed to feel the most like the Novosbed, and I just didn’t like it. In fact, I really didn’t like any of the memory foam over foam beds. They all felt too soft, I sank in too much and felt trapped.

I wouldn’t buy it, but I liked the feel of the Sealy hybrid (memory foam over innerspring) much better. Maybe I am just used to my memory foam Sleep Number bed, which has some initial softness on top but then the firm air layer. I didn’t like the SleepEZ latex bed either, its possible that all foam just won’t work for me…

I will update again after the bed arrives and I try it. Thanks…

Steve

Hi St3v3k4hn,

Congratulations on your new mattress! I look forward to your comments once you’ve had a chance to try it out when you’re on vacation.

Phoenix

So I’ve had the Tuft and Needle Cal King bed for a while now, and I really like it. Its in a vacation home so I only sleep on it about a week per month, but when I am there I sleep great! I actually learned some interesting things from this. I thought I liked really soft beds but this bed is pretty firm and I sleep great. Also, I much prefer the regular foam in this bed to any memory foams or latex beds I tried. Live and learn!

Now I am looking for a bed frame. At my main home I have an L&P adjustable bed on wheels, and I really love it. Not because its adjustable - frankly I never adjust it! I just really like the wheels, the solid top, and the lightness / simplicity of it. Are there any bed frames that are designed solid like this but NOT adjustable? I did read all thru your post on best frames for foam beds, but I didnt see anything like this. I dont want a box spring and I dont want a foundation. I just want one piece that I can put my foam mattress on. Preferably metal, and with wheels for easy moving and cleaning. Thanks…

Hi st3v3k4hn,

I’m glad your T&N is working out well for you! Thanks for the update.

Would you be interested in something like this? The only thing I don’t think they provide are wheels, but it might be worth calling them to see if it is something they can offer or have suggestions on being able to customize in that manner. Most of the beds like this with which I am familiar use solid leg posts without wheels.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: foreverfoundations.com/foundation

Perhaps there are other forum members who are familiar with what you’ve described and have some experience with an item like this and can provide their information as well.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I’d still rather find something with a solid top, but if thats not possible, yes something like that. We actually have 2 beds there and we already bought a Brooklyn Bedding frame for the first one and it works fine (amazon.com/dp/B014GCAEZ8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=IGWG5O29J267&coliid=INZF6RSMR0WDY&psc=1).
We are thinking of buying this (slightly more stylish) frame for the second one:
The issue with both of these is the somewhat open bars on top might let the mattress sag through…
Steve

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Amazon.com

Hi St3v3k4hn,

I found some unique DIY platform beds with wheels on this site, but I don’t know if you’re looking to go that route. Besides adjustable bed bases, I’m not personally familiar with solid deck beds using wheels on the bottom. I found two others here and here that are pre-made using a bowed slat system.

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: thesimplestores.com/p-94727-magnussen-home-braxton-wood-island-bed-with-casters.aspx?PID=MAG12960&A6=14&tss_source=google&tss_medium=PLA&PLACAT=Bedroom&scid=scplpMAG12960&sc_intid=MAG12960&gclid=Cj0KEQiAot_FBRCqt8jVsoDKoZABEiQAqFL76NxjeHmxSRyHpKHwUbY-fRKpdh29wvjDWpqQLSkGJOQaAlim8P8HAQ

The easiest solution might be finding a good platform bed that you like and drill holes in the legs and install T-nuts with a threaded caster.

Phoenix

Phoenix, its not so much the wheels, lets nix that. Its more that I want a light, easily movable frame with a solid top that offers excellent support for a foam mattress. As I said I have the Brooklyn Bedding metal frame and altho it seems fine I am concerned about longer term mattress issues due to the relatively large holes between the support bars…
Anyway, thanks again for the unbelievably quick and thorough answers!
Steve

Hi St3v3k4hn,

Check this out. Easy to assemble and lightweight, so should be easy to move. Has a solid deck.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, yes exactly like that. Altho maybe a bit higher off the ground, but easy to assemble and solid deck is a hit! I still sort of like this one at Amazon tho:
Do you know anything about this? Good reviews for what that’s worth…
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Amazon.com

Hi St3v3k4hn,

The amazon product you refer to is not a solid deck and I would have the same concern with items like this as I mention in the foundation thread, of the eventual bending of the thin wire strands, as well as the tendency that some of these strands, over time, can have to press into the base foam (what many manufacturers will refer to as cheese slicers). It varies by brand, design, and the mattress used, of course. I do not have any experience with this item or its quality, but there does seem to be quite a bit of variance in the steel used coming out of China with many of these bases.

Phoenix

Fyi, I also found that Room and Board sells a board designed to be put on top of the platform, under foam mattresses, to help them wear better… I will probably buy one at some point…
https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/randb-mattresses/randb-platform-board?source=igodigital

Hi St3v3k4hn,

Yes, that looks like a Bunkie Board with a firmer particle board top (instead of the usual cardboard). Your only concern might be the noise between the bottom of this piece and the top of your bedframe grid network, so some sort of fabric or a thin piece of foam might be advisable. Looks like a sturdy product.

Phoenix

Hmm, ok. So, to double back to the beginning, are there any of these simple platform bed frames that you think are solid enough for a heavy foam mattress? 10-14" high, cal king, no headboard or footboard, just a durable platform? Somehow I don’t think the Brooklyn Bedding frame I bought is quite solid enough (ie I think the slats are too far apart).
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B014GCAEZ8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=IGWG5O29J267&coliid=INZF6RSMR0WDY&psc=1

The SavvyRest Afton may fit the bill. I’m in no way associated with them but have ordered one of their mattress which will be here in a few days.

Hi St3v3k4hn,

For mattresses with a high density polyfoam base, 5" or less gaps would be recommended and this base is approved by Brooklyn Bedding for their mattresses using such a base. For an all-latex mattress, 3" or less between gaps would normally be recommended. The base you bought is one of the stronger of these types in the marketplace.

Phoenix

Hi photocat,

You’re correct. The afton would be a base strong enough to support a heavy latex or polyfoam mattress. It has a good center support, and uses maple on the perimeter and legs, and uses poplar for the slats.

Phoenix

Oh, ok, awesome! I’ll stop worrying and order another one then!
Thanks again!