Best natural mattress pad/topper

Greetings Phoenix,
I am trying to find:

1. All-natural Mattress pad/topper for a queen size synthetic mattress in order to have a better breath-ability during sleep and be isolated farther from metal springs(magnetic field)
  2. A Pillow-top/topper for a Berkeley Ergo twin-xl mattress to make it a bit softer.
    What would you recommend?
    Is ‘Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper’ that is sold on Amazon a good choice?(and really 100% natural?) I really appreciate any pointers you can give.

Hi Intltraveler

I would keep in mind that the choice between different types of topper materials is a preference choice so there is no such thing as “the best natural mattress pad/topper” … there is only a topper that is “best for you” based on how much additional comfort and pressure relief you need and on all the other criteria that are important to you.

Magnetic fields from mattress innersprings are a very controversial subject and there are certainly some people that believe they are harmful although I’m not one of them. While I have seen many of these types of comments about innersprings being a “safety” issue because of electromagnetic fields … I have never seen any specific evidence that this is the case other than some very non specific anecdotal stories that don’t provide any clear evidence that would directly relate to innersprings or metal frames. I would personally be more cautious with “active” electromagnetic fields (such as living close to high tension wires, holding a cell phone too close to your head, or sleeping near active electrical fields or wiring as examples) … but I personally wouldn’t have any issues with sleeping on an innerspring in terms of safety (although there would certainly be others that have a different opinion).

While it’s not always possible to to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

A mattress protector, mattress pad, or a topper that uses wool quilted to a natural fabric such as cotton would probably be the most temperature regulating choice but your choice would also depend on “how much” additional softness and pressure relief you may need as well. There is also more about mattress pads vs toppers which are generally thicker in post #2 here.

There is also more about wool toppers and how they compare to foam toppers in post #8 here and the posts it links to.

I don’t have any specific suggestions or recommendations because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress/topper combination and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion about which topper would be the best “match” for both you and the mattress you are using it on in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the combination in person then there is always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of and a link to the online suppliers that have good exchange/return policies as well (just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any specific topper will feel to you in combination with your mattress … the Pure Green topper is 100% natural Dunlop latex which is certainly a high quality and durable material but if you can’t test a mattress/topper combination in person then the only way to know whether any topper will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort” firmness, and PPP will be based on your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

The choice between different types and blends of latex is a preference and budget choice more than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is also more about some of the general differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but again the most reliable way to know which type of topper or which type of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing or personal sleeping experience.

Sleep on Latex is one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of them but if you do decide to purchase the Pure Green topper I would also check the Sleep On Latex site because the price for the same topper may be lower and their exchange return policy is the same or better than Amazon’s as well.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix and MU fellow members :
My Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses’s latex layer lost it’s support in the center after 4 years and I am looking to replace it. I was informed that it came with a 2" 22 ILD Talalay Latex. I bought 20 ILD Sleep on Latex Dunlop topper but that seems rather too soft with much larger holes ( and is likely to wear out even faster.) I am thinking of returning it. (their firmer topper is 30ILD which may be too firm for me). I’ve been considering either Foamorder’s Medium N28 (24-28 ILD) or Latex for Less D75 (28ILD) toppers. Would anyone know if quality of these are on par with Sleep on Latex brand or I should consider something else? Thanks so much!