Best OMF mattress to buy to add a topper later?

Hi levander,

I don’t know the details of their specific mattresses but I believe that some of their pillowtops use much higher quality foam over the lower density foam which is why I would want to know the rest of the story (see post #32 here).

Actually this isn’t correct. The layer below won’t affect how much the foam above it compresses although you would sink into the mattress more “in total” than if the lower layer was firmer (the lower layer just adds to the compression of the top layer). This is just like a spring (forgetting for the moment the hysteresis of any foam) and if you put one spring above another they will compress twice as much as either of them individually with the same load. I you put two springs in parallel with the same load … each of them will compress half as much. Some of the compression forces would be absorbed by the top layer (through hysteresis) before they reached the lower layer which would increase the durability of the lower layer but the top layer would compress just as much and would be subject to the same forces regardless of what was below it. The only way to add to the durability of a layer using another layer is to add something on top of it that reduces how much it compresses. Other methods that can increase durability include quilting or tufting the layers which removes the false loft of the foam and pre-compresses it so its firmer and less likely to soften or take a set.

That’s kind of funny coming from Strobel who told me that their top layers on their DIY site here was 1.5 lbs along with the polyfoam in their commercial mattresses (and it was like pulling teeth to find that out from them over a series of phone calls). 1.5 lb polyfoam used appropriately in a good lower budget design (especially two sided) can make a relatively durable mattress. It also depends on other factors and if the 1.5 lb polyfoam is deeper in the mattress or is firmer rather than softer it will last longer (and this is a good place to save money in a lower budget mattress).

Being closer to the “I can sleep on anything” end of the scale certainly makes it easier than being closer to the “princess and the pea” end of the scale and increases the odds that “average” choices will work well for you.

OMF has a “spec book” that they can look up any of the specs that you ask about. They are much more transparent than most manufacturers which is typical of smaller independent companies. I don’t keep a record of any specific layers in mattresses no (which would take an army of people to keep up with) but I would only deal with manufacturers or retailers that provide foam density information about their mattresses and there are certainly enough of these that you wouldn’t need to deal with manufacturers who don’t provide this (which is most of the larger brands). I don’t believe this is “nerdy” information but “essential” information with any mattress purchase.

I don’t think there are any “worthy” Stearns & Foster mattresses (in value terms anyway) and you won’t get this information from S&F or any of the larger brands but if you are able to get some inside information you will discover that their foams are much lower quality in every price range and the “best” polyfoam they use is in the 1.8 lb range and this is only some of the foam used in their better mattresses. They are mostly 1.5 lb or less.

I know people who regularly take them apart to see what is inside them as a “hobby” (and part of their research) and they are constantly amazed at the low quality of what they find.

Phoenix