Best OMF mattress to buy to add a topper later?

Hi levander,

It seems to me that you weren’t dealing with the most responsive person at OMF. They have been much more helpful when I’ve called them.

I guess that neither he nor you realized that he had already answered this question by giving you the density of the foam (1.5 lbs). This only covers 2" of the foam though and the other layers are probably a different density. ILD information is not important with a local purchase because this is a “comfort spec” not a “quality spec”.

Yes … density/quality of polyfoam or memory foam is either expressed in lbs/ft3 or in kg/m3.

Density is one of the most important parts of assessing the quality/value/durability of a mattress in the context of its price range (see post #4 here and the posts it links to) but you can only evaluate a mattress if you know the details of all the layers and components … not just 2" of it. All the layers and components interact together and will affect each other both in terms of performance and in terms of durability.

OMF uses higher quality materials than major manufacturers and have better quality and value in every budget range. The suitability of a specific material is also relative to the price of a mattress, its firmness, and on how and where it is used in a particular design.

There are more layers in this mattress than the information you have been given about 2" of it and I would be tempted to talk with someone else there that was more willing to provide you with all the information you need about the quality of all the layers. Only then can you make meaningful quality and value comparisons.

In a perfect world … the salesperson would have the knowledge and experience to help you “translate” the specs and help you use them meaningfully as part of comparisons to other mattresses but you are also welcome to post them here once you have them if you’d like some feedback :slight_smile:

Phoenix