Best Quality Down Pillows

I spent a good deal of time on TMU a couple years ago before eventually purchasing my hybrid latex mattress and shredded latex pillow. I am mostly happy with my latex pillow, but go through periods where I prefer the feel of my quite old down pillow. However, during one of the times I wasn’t using my down pillow, my husband basically claimed it for himself and now we fight over it :slight_smile:
So, I would like to buy a couple new down pillows. I’ve read some reviews on Wirecutter and Good Housekeeping, but take those with a grain of salt. I realize which specific pillow will work for each of us, especially as far as firmness is concerned, is very subjective…but is there a brand in particular anyone can recommend for down pillows? My old one is Pacific Coast, but from what I’ve read it sounds like their quality has gone downhill over the years since I first purchased mine.

Hey rp0475,

Welcome back to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Pacific Coast Feather Company is one of the oldest and largest manufacturers of down pillows and down accessories in the U.S. They sell products to traditional and non-traditional retailers, as well as to the hospitality industry. I don’t have any personal experience with the Pacific Coast down pillow you referenced and unfortunately, a quick search on the forum didn’t turn up any feedback about their quality in recent years. Hopefully, any members that have used Pacific Coast down pillows may see your post and comment on their user experience. When you say “from what I’ve read it sounds like their quality has gone downhill over the years since I first purchased mine”, could you elaborate a bit more about what you have read regarding quality and what the source was?

I see from previous post #88 that you’re familiar with expert trusted member CozyPure’s LaNoodle adjustable fill pillow. Our trusted member DIY Natural Bedding offers all-natural pillow kits featuring materials such as millet hulls, kapok fiber and shredded latex, other alternatives to feathers. I generally don’t make recommendations outside of TMU’s trusted member program, as there is no way to guarantee that a particular brand operates under the same strict qualification process that we require. I did make a quick search online using the terms “down pillow” and “feather pillow” and was amazed at the number of results out there and would caution you to look towards manufacturers who provide the most transparency in terms of feather sourcing, fabrication materials and return/ exchange policies. Also, take into consideration what your preferred sleeping position(s) are when considering the pillow’s dimensions, as that determines how much loft or how little your pillow should have for optimal spinal alignment…even though with a feather pillow you’ll have a little more of a “fluff” factor to work with for adjusting the pillow’s height. Good luck with your down pillow research and let us know how things go, rp0475 :wink: .

Sensei