Best retailers for "show rooming"

I first have to say this this site is a huge resource, thank you! I was about to buy a mattress online and came across this site when looking for a promotion code and realized I was making a decision based on the marketing, not facts.

After reading through the guides and posts I realize that I don’t know what my wife and I like. We’ve been sleeping on a foam (maybe memory foam?) mattress for the past 10 years and it has worked ok, but is starting to show its age.

I don’t really know how firm or soft we like our mattress or if we like the feel of latex/memory foam/etc.

I’d like to spend some time figuring out what we like in several different dimensions before doing a deeper dive into what exactly we should purchase.

I want to find a retailer that has a good selection of different materials and firmness levels that we can try out. I’m not concerned about price, durability or customer service at this point - I just want to figure out what we like.

We have a young daughter so I want to limit our travel time in this initial part of the search. The retailers closest to us are Sleepy’s, Duxiana, American Mattress, and Macy’s, with a few more just a bit further (I live in downtown Chicago).

I’ve had trouble finding which one will carry a good range of materials and firmness levels and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations.

Hi dylanl-chi,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Chicago region (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in posts #2 and #4 here.

If I was in the area at the very least I would make sure to include My Green Mattress / Quality Sleep in my research.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I’m planning on checking out My Green Mattress / Quality Sleep, but later in the process when we know more of what we want. They are about a 30 minute drive from us which I am ok doing when we can try out 2-3 mattresses that are close to what we want in a short period of time, but don’t want to do if we need to spend an hour or two there. We have a young daughter who hates being in the car and has specific nap times so we try to limit our driving trips as much as possible when we know we’ll be at a place for a while.

I’m hoping to find something with a lot of selection and sales people that will pretty much leave us alone while we try out stuff. Not sure if that is possible at bigger chains.

I’m not really sure how much time to budget to figure out how much firmness/material we like.

Any tips there would be appreciated.

Hi dylani-chi,

As you can see in this article … if you are testing mattresses at stores where you can’t find out the type and quality of the materials inside the mattress then you would be wasting most of your time anyway unless you end up purchasing a specific mattress that you have tested (which I certainly wouldn’t suggest if the information you need to make an informed choice isn’t available to you).

Phoenix