Best way to store a latex topper when not in use?

Good day,

I am a new member here and have a guest coming to town for a few weeks. I set up an inflatable queen size air mattress when guests come to sleep over. To make this air mattress more comfortable I am getting a 1" thick soft latex topper.

My big question is, how can I best minimize the size of and store the topper in a closet once my guest(s) leave?

Thank you.

Hi oceanblue22,

You can just fold it in half and then carefully roll it up as tightly as you can inside some plastic or cloth (squishing it much as possible as you make each turn) and then tape it closed so it doesn’t come unrolled. I would use wider tape so that it doesn’t cut into the latex (which can tear easily).

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix!

Perhaps I’ll be able to roll it up tight enough that it will fit in one of those jumbo space bags that I can vacuum all the air out of.
Would it be damaging to the latex to compress it like that?

Hi oceanblue22,

[quote]Perhaps I’ll be able to roll it up tight enough that it will fit in one of those jumbo space bags that I can vacuum all the air out of.
Would it be damaging to the latex to compress it like that? [/quote]

There are some instructions for vacuum compressing latex in post #5 here. Long periods of compression can weaken or impress the latex (Dunlop more than Talalay based on feedback I’ve heard) but for shorter periods of time (a few weeks to a few months) it would probably be fine. It would also depend on how much it was compressed and on the conditions where it was stored (higher humidity levels and temperatures would have more effect than lower humidity levels and temperatures).

Phoenix

I appreciate your input and the link to post #5.
I may have to rethink my storage strategy! :slight_smile: