Best Wool Mattress Protector?

Hi All,

I’ve been reading this forum and scouring the internet to find the best wool mattress protector. I have a new mattress and want some protection in case of accidents from our baby. I’ve used the “waterproof” protectors in the past from big box stores and have found them to be very HOT, which disrupts my sleep.

I read on this form about wool protectors from St. Dormeir and Natura but have also found some on Purerest.com and on Amazon. For those of you in the forum who actually own one of these brands, what are your thoughts? Has anyone owned more than one and can give a comparison between the options?

This is quite an expensive purchase so I wanted to make sure I got some good feedback before buying.

Thanks everyone!

Hi DionaldDraper,

I own the NaturaProtect Deluxe which is a good quality wool protector but also has the waterproof membrane (and was on sale at Costco at the time) but if I had to do it over again I would probably choose the St Dormeir because it’s a little more elastic and breathable without the membrane and there have been a couple of nights where I slept a little hot even with the wool. We bought it because my other half wanted waterproof but I think in retrospect water resistant would have been fine for us.

Most of the Natura mattress pads are thicker than the St Dormeir so they would affect the feel of the mattress a little more.

The wool puddle pads are only wool and don’t have cotton which wicks moisture a little better than wool.

There are a couple of other wool protectors linked in post #89 here but I don’t have personal experience with them. There are a lot of retailers and consumers I know that believe the St Dormier is a great choice because it is thinner and more stretchy than other types of wool protectors.

Phoenix