#BestMattressEver Foam Content

I did some digging into the two latex layers that sit at the top of the Best Mattress Ever from Brooklyn Bedding. Here’s what I found out:

• The top talalay layer is 60% synthetc, 40% natural
• The dunlop layer is 100% synthetic

It seems from this Mattress Underground article that 100% natural dunlop is preferred to synthetic (or blended) talalay. I am confused in this case because of the two layers.

Could anyone offer some insight here? Thanks!

MORE FOAM INFO:

-Each of the latex layers is one solid piece, with the exception of the King size in which the talalay layer is glued

Looking at buying one of these, also interested in this question!

Hi panman,

[quote]I did some digging into the two latex layers that sit at the top of the Best Mattress Ever from Brooklyn Bedding. Here’s what I found out:

• The top talalay layer is 60% synthetc, 40% natural
• The dunlop layer is 100% synthetic[/quote]

You didn’t really have to do any “digging” because their layers are already described in post #3 here about the new breed of “simplified choice” mattresses that are appearing in the industry.

With any preference choice such as the choice between different types and blends of latex it will always depend on the person, on budget considerations, and on how and where the specific material is used in a mattress design. You can read more detailed information blended Talalay vs 100% natural Talalay in post #2 here. You can also read more about all the many different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and you can also read more about synthetic continuous pour Dunlop latex made by Mountaintop foam in post #2 here (this material wasn’t specifically mentioned in the article you linked because it wasn’t yet widely available when the article was written).

All types and blends of latex (Dunlop or Talalay and made with natural rubber, synthetic rubber, or a blend of both) are a high quality and durable material relative to other types of foam and different people will have different preferences between them either based on the “feel” they prefer, for personal or lifestyle reasons, or on their budget (synthetic latex is a lower cost material). The two main categories of latex though are Dunlop and Talalay and there is more about how they compare in post #7 here.

In the case of the #BestMattressEver the top comfort layer (under the quilted cover) is the one that contributes the most to the initial “feel” of the mattress and is the blended Talalay which is a very resilient material and then the second layer is the continuous pour synthetic Dunlop layer which is a little less resilient and is used as a transition between the Talalay and the polyfoam support core and the bottom layer is the 2 lb polyfoam. All of these materials are very durable and would be suitable for any weight range and it would certainly make a great quality/value choice for those that are looking for a latex hybrid mattress. Like any mattress that uses a combination of different types of materials, each layer is chosen by the manufacturer to reach the design goals of the mattress and produce produce the overall “feel” they are looking for and to fit inside a target budget range.

Of course there are also mattresses that use 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay in either one or all the layers that are also available if you have a preference for either 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay latex either because of how they “feel” or for personal reasons (some people prefer more natural materials for personal or lifestyle reasons regardless of the properties of the latex itself) but this group of consumers would generally be looking more for an all latex mattress which only uses natural versions of latex which would be in a much higher budget range than a latex hybrid.

Phoenix

Spoken like a true forum admin :stuck_out_tongue: The percentages were not available in that post.

I appreciate the info! Thanks!

Hi panman86,

I guess it’s difficult not to speak like a forum admin when you are one :slight_smile:

All the blended Talalay latex that is available in the industry either from Talalay Global (previously called Latex International) or Radium … which are the only two manufacturers of Talalay latex that you will find in North America … are “about” a 30% natural and 70% synthetic blend (the blend can vary slightly) and are a very high quality and durable material.

Unlike Talalay which is either blended or 100% natural … the blend percentages in Dunlop can vary widely.

Phoenix

You are amazing!

Pretty sure I will be going with the medium Best Mattress Ever. The 120 day money back policy is giving me peace of mind.

Hi panman86,

You are certainly “leaning” in a high quality/value direction and your comfort choice would be the most common choice among the three that they have available. I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding once you pull the trigger.

Phoenix