Better Latex Options in London/Southwestern Ontario

Hello All,

I’ve been a long time reader here but having just purchased a mattress with the guidance of this forum, I thought I would share some of findings recently that made us pull the trigger on a new mattress. We have a SpringAir mattress that was very expensive and came with a great warranty - but has sagged tremendously and I now sleep in what I call a cavern. After the numerous SpringAir changed of hand (Sommex, Rev) - they wont even think about giving us a warranty claim. Thus - the search began.

After scouring all of London Ontario and coming up with less than acceptable options, I thought I would try our local, small town “Brandsource” store just for fun. I was absolutely floored when I saw that they carried Pure Latex Bliss, as well as many other manufactures (Natura, Tempurpedic, Serta iComfort, etc…). I might as well get this out of the way now - I am in no way affiliated with this store or any furniture/matress store for that matter.

I saw that they had 3 different PLB models on the floor to try, but I was fully expecting sticker shock based on what I had read/seen around the internet. Much to my surprise, they are/were having a huge 50% off sale on their PLB mattresses - making them actually fairly reasonable compared to some of the more mainstream offerings. Needless to say, we pulled the trigger and purchased the PLB Nature (they also have the Pamper and the Beautiful). The price was right, location was right (for us at least) - the only thing is you sort of need to know your stuff going in there as their matress sales person is a weee bit elderly and not overly insightful. All in all though - the price (and comfort) were the motivators to buy right away. Unfortunately - they have to order it so it will be a week or two before it comes in.

I quickly read the ‘rules’ section of this website and Im pretty sure Im not allowed to post pictures or state what their pricing was - but if I am allowed to, I took pictures on my phone of their pricing. If it is allowed and would help anyone in the same situation as us who is frustrated with London’s offerings - I will post them here.

As an aside - we are now looking for a waterproof mattress cover (as we have kids) and have read the responses in this forum. Are there any good quality, breathable mattress covers with a zip-top so that laundering is easier than removing the entire cover? I was looking at the “encase/sleep tite” but Im wodnering if we use a full encasement if that could cause issues with moisture down the road (less breathable).

Thoughts?

Hi mr plow,

Thanks for sharing your experiences and feedback about your London shopping experiences … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I would certainly “allow” and even encourage posting any specifics about your mattress purchase including pictures, prices, and the store you purchased from. The only links I don’t allow are “self promotional” links from retailers or manufacturers. As you mentioned this type of information would certainly help other members in the London area.

I will even add them to the London / SW Ontario list here along with the brands that carry that disclose the quality of their materials (such as PLB and Natura) although of course that would exclude Serta which I wouldn’t consider.

Post #89 here has more information about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors. I would tend to use a protector that covers the top surface of the mattress but fits like a fitted sheet and doesn’t fully encase it because it can allow the mattress to ventilate better and is easier to put on and remove unless you have allergy issues in which case a mattress encasement may be a better choice and there is more about these in post #2 here.

Most important of all … it sounds like you did some great research and ended up making a great choice … and I’m looking forward to finding out the details (and pictures).

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

Here are some of the details on the purchase. We bought from Johan’s Brandsource in Strathroy Ontario. They are a family run business that cater to everything (furniture, appliances, mattress, etc) but their mattress showroom is actually pretty decent with alot of selection. As they are part of the Brandsource buying group, the other Brandsource based stores may have similar deals…not 100% sure.

I personally think these are pretty good prices for PLB - my camera work with my cell phone however - leaves a bit to be desired. Hopefully the prices can be made out.

Thanks for all the help and info!

Hi mr plow,

Thanks for the pictures and the pricing information. Their sale prices are certainly very reasonable :slight_smile:

I called Johans to find out which manufacturers they carry. They carry some major brands (which I would ignore) and they no longer carry Natura but they carry Pure Latex Bliss (as you know) along with Springwall which are both transparent manufacturers that provide all the information you would need about the materials in their mattresses and would be well worth considering so I’ve added them to the London list.

Thanks for the heads up!

Phoenix