between a 2 layers and a 3 layers Latex

Hello and thank you so much for this forum !
After spending hours reading this forum, I am about to buy a new latex mattress on sleepEz. I had bought a latex 15 years ago in France I loved so much (my back pain at that time completely disappeared) that I took it with me when I moved here in the States. I can say that even now, it is still very good although it became a bit too soft with the years for my husband taste. So we are going to replace it for firmer and bigger. Now, the one that I have from France is probably a Dunlop although it is not specified on the mattress, it just says all natural, and is about 7" thick so I suppose it is like a 2 layers from SleepEz.
I was wondering what the benefits were to buy a 3 layers and if it is really worth the extra $400 or so (for a king bed). We are not tall neither heavy people (125 lbs for myself). We like rather firm mattress.
I forgot to say, (don’t know if it is important), that it won’t go on a foundation but directly on a plateform bed.

Thank you for any help. :slight_smile:

Hi Sofie,

This would be a preference choice that would depend on whether a thinner or a thicker mattress would be a better match for you in terms of PPP. A mattress with more layers would also provide more options to customize the mattress both before and after a purchase as well. There is more about the pros and cons of a thicker mattress or a mattress that has more layers in post #4 here and the post it links to but one of the most important parts of buying a mattress online that you can’t test in person is a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer (such as SleepEz) who can help “talk you through” the options they have available that would most likely be the best match for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences and that would have the best chance of success (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

As long as your platform bed meets the guidelines in post #1 here for an all latex mattress and the slats aren’t too far apart and it has good center support to the floor then it would be fine.

Phoenix

Ok Thank you, I will read Post#4 as I think it is the one that I missed when reading everything and will call SleepEz. Thanks again.

I called SleepEZ today. not such a good experience. I don’t know if the guy was in warehouse or what but the background noise was terrible. could barely hear something. Plus not very helpful. He must have had a bad day. In the end, I didn’t get much out of it.
He said something like it doesn’t matter whether it’ s medium or firm for a Dunlop type on the bottom layer? Does that make sense? I would hate to call him back.
Thank you

Hi Sofie,

I’m not sure who you were talking with or the specifics of your conversation but your experience certainly isn’t the norm with SleepEz and the “usual” feedback from conversations with them is overwhelmingly positive.

If I was in your shoes I would probably call back and let them know that you still have more questions and continue your conversation when there are less distractions in the background.

In some cases it wouldn’t matter very much at all and in others it would matter much more depending on the person (body type, sleeping positions, and on how sensitive they were to differences between two mattresses) and on the specifics of the mattress and its thickness as well so I don’t really know the context of the comment and how he meant it or whether there was some misunderstanding involved.

Phoenix

Thank you. I was very surprised too of the way it went as I read here everyone was happy. I think the problem was that he must have been somewhere noisy doing something. Anyway, I am going to give it another try today. We shall see.