Between layers

I have a 4 layer latex mattress that has really worked well for me for about a year. I will not state the bed kit mfr as the latex is what it is. Radium mfg Talalay blend it so it’s one of the best. Here is my configs and my findings.

S/M/XF/F This was my favorite until it “broke in” and now is too soft/lacks support and my back hurts

M/S/XF/F This has solid support, but lacks comfort/pressure relief

I should note that my Medium layer is a full layer and that all others are split layers. I tend to dislike the concept of a split top layer.

What I am told is that latex “softens” about 3%. I’m told that it is not common to be able to feel this, but I can say that the center of the bed feels dramatically different than the section that I sleep on.

I am willing to accept the fact that I am exceptionally picky and have no problem getting out my wallet. I’d like this to not be an annual project though. I still wonder if I shouldn’t have gone to some sort of air under latex setup.

My dilemma is this:

1. buy a new soft split layer and replace mine leave hers same

2. buy a new soft full layer that has an ILD a couple clicks above the std soft ie 25 ILD

3. buy a new soft full layer (std ILD) putting me back to new-ish and maybe gaining a bit due to the layers not squirming

4. buy a new 25-ish ILD full layer

The idea behind the 25 range ILD is that it should theoretically be close to a new 21 ILD when it breaks in.

For the moment I plan to push the XF layer to the bottom to try and improve comfort

Hi TD-Max,

Have you tried a soft layer on top with a firm layer underneath it ie. S/F/M/XF?

This would give you the top softness you seem to prefer with more support underneath it.

You could also try M/S/F/XF which may be slightly softer (if you can feel it).

The 25 ILD layer would need to soften by 4 ILD to reach 21 which is a 16% difference which isn’t likely to happen. Even if this did happen it would be softening unevenly (more under the heavier areas of the body). I should also mention that ILD ratings are already +/- 2.5 ILD when they are new (seehere).

[quote]My dilemma is this:

1. buy a new soft split layer and replace mine leave hers same

2. buy a new soft full layer that has an ILD a couple clicks above the std soft ie 25 ILD

3. buy a new soft full layer putting me back to new-ish and maybe gaining a bit due to the layers not squirming

4. buy a new 25-ish ILD full layer[/quote]

I’m not clear on the difference between #2 and #4.

I’m also not clear on how your wife feels or how moving the medium layer to different positions affects her. Even though you don’t like the split layers … splitting the medium would give you much more flexibility on each side (you could rearrange your side and leave hers the way she prefers it). I think this would be the biggest consideration if I was buying new layers. What is her preferred layering?

Flipping the upper layers may also make a difference because if you are sensitive to very small changes then this will allow them to soften more evenly which can help alignment.

Phoenix

I went to M/S/F/XF for now

She is OK with most anything. It’s hard to get any meaningful feedback from her but I do think the M layer is a bit firm for her.

I swapped her S layer and it was good for a while, but quickly softened to my shape. I have flipped with fair success. End for ending was a BIG mistake as the pattern messed with my back.

By initial feel the M upper feels nice and supportive. This is where I started. When I put the S on top it immediately felt nice and cushy and worked pretty well for a while.

Pretty sure I’ve done the S/F/M thing without the greatest success.

Even if the 25ILD does not "soften to 21 ILD it should be a small to moderate step up just not as aggressive as the M.

Hi TD-Max,

Can you clarify what you mean? The only “pattern” that would change if you flip a layer end to end would be an asymmetrically zoned layer.

Another option to consider would be a 1" layer in the center third of the mattress under the top or second layer which would create a firmer zone in the middle third of your body where most of the weight is (there is more about zoning in post #11 here and in post #2 here).

This makes sense to me.

Phoenix

When I swapped end for end it messed with my support. Hips not in the right spot. I don’t know it was just not right.

S/M/XF/F was an improvement over S/M/F/XF so I think the 25 is a step in the right direction.

The 1" layer also intriguing.

Hi TD-Max,

That’s very odd. I can’t think of any reason outside of some unusual asymmetrical zoning pattern (which they don’t have) that could account for that. The layers should be the same no matter which way they are used.

Phoenix

I’m thinking its the fact that the layer broke in to my body and when swapped end for end it messed with my support/alignment.

I’m contemplating trying the stretch top as has been recommended in the past. Will the stretch top make much difference over the cotton/wool top? I’m using the Medium layer up top and it supports nicely, but in time I start to get pressure point aches.

Hi TD-Max,

Yes … for most people it would make a noticeable difference in feel yes and would allow the latex to contour more effectively to the body profile. There is more about the pros and cons of quilted covers vs stretch knit covers in general in post #12 here and more about a wool quilted cover vs a stretch knit cover in post #6 here.

Phoenix

Night one with quilted cover peeled back to simulate the stretch cover. So far I think I may like it. I was pretty tired so I slept well. Pretty sure I ended up in the same position straight through but I’m up earlier (planned) and only one night so far.

I’m a little sore, but it’s more of a muscle sore which is quite common when I change configurations and feels.