Big bed for big folks

Hello

Thanks so much for this forum and all the valuable information. It’s really incredible, and I feel like I could research mattresses for a year and still not be totally sure I’m making the right decision, so I’m just putting out there where I currently am and what I’m looking for. Any input is greatly appreciated!

My partner and I are big people. I’m 5’10, 170 lbs and he’s around 6’4, 260 lbs. We currently have a queen, and I’m pretty sure we want to get a California king size bed since we have the room for it. One issue is that we have a very tight circular stairwell, and we couldn’t fit box springs even if we wanted. We also can’t fit innerspring mattresses, and I think we’re leaning towards latex mattress anyway. Specifically, we’re thinking Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex by Dreamfoam bedding. I believe this comes in a 15x15x80 package, which will fit up the stairs.

I went to Sleepy’s to try some beds to feel out pressure points and get a genera idea of what feels right based on the forum recommendations, and to be honest, I couldn’t tell much difference between brands or features. They all felt great, but I had a slight preference for firmer beds (I’m a stomach sleeper, and the very plush pillow tops felt a little too soft).

The main criterion for my partner is no heat trapping models, that’s really important to him. So the saleswoman pointed is to gel infused and latex varieties which are apparently cooler.

My main criterion is durability. I’m worried that a larger king sized bed may not hold up as well as a queen and start to sag. From what I understand, latex (and memory foam) seem to last longer, so that’s why we’re leaning towards it. I realize that most visitors to this forum come whilst shopping for a mattress, but don’t stick around to give updates on its longevity once they’ve bought one. Any good posts about durability?

I’m in the Philadelphia area if that matters.

And finally, I’m 35 and this is my first new bed. I’ve always used second hand, and that may be why I’m not very discerning - they all feel great to me. I’m excited about the prospect of having a brand new bed. Thank you for reading.

Hi Omega,

The first place to start your research is post #1 here which has all the most important information and step by step guidelines that can help you make the best choices.

I’m not sure how tight your stairwell is but most foam mattresses (Latex, polyfoam, or memory foam) will easily bend around corners and of course if they are shipped compressed they are smaller yet. There are also mattresses that ship as separate components (one or two layers in each box) and a zip cover that you put together yourself when you receive it. Most king boxsprings or foundations are also two twin XL put together and there are also foundations that are shipped in smaller packages such as the KD foundations of the foundation frames in the foundation post here. There are lots of good options for difficult spaces.

The first link with the guidelines will help you avoid the chain stores or most of the other mainstream choices and focus your time on the many better options that are available to you.

You can read some of the many factors that affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here.

You can read about different materials and the things that affect relative durability and the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Philadelphia area are listed in post #4 here.

I’m glad you found us and I’m looking forward to any questions you have and of course your feedback along the way :slight_smile:

Phoenix