[quote]Hmmm. All I know about the innards is what is in that link:
744 pocketed 6’’ Coils
15 gauge
1 1/2’’ of High Density Ultra Plush Foam
Hi Loft Fire Barrier
High Res Densified Fiber Pad
Multi-slat Center Supported Foundation
I’m guessing that doesn’t help much…[/quote]

At least the “base mattress” only has 1.5" of low quality foam but it’s probably very low quality and I don’t know the density of the memory foam topper you tried with it so that will also have a significant effect on the durability of your “sleeping system”. Do you know the density of the memory foam topper you tested with the mattress?

[quote]Thanks for the link about SF stores - the most promising (aka only one with a mattress <= 800) was Keetsa, which has this Keetsa Firm iCoil and Memory Foam Mattress | The Keetsa Plus® – KEETSA
I’ll try it tomorrow and see if it feels good - if so I’m curious if the materials are reasonable![/quote]

If you can find out the specifics of any mattress you are considering (see the article here) and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress as a whole. Without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of a mattress.

There really isn’t a great deal of difference any more since many of the futons that are available today use similar components to mattresses (see post #2 here). The main difference is that futons are generally thinner and firmer and are usually meant to double up as a sofa on a futon frame although if they are a good match for you in terms of PPP they can be just as suitable as a sleeping system as a more traditional mattress.

I’m not sure what size you are looking for since that could make a significant difference in the price of a mattress but there are certainly other options on the San Francisco list besides Keetsa that would have a good quality/value mattress for under $1000 and I would make sure you include a phone conversation with Nest Bedding in your research as well.

Phoenix