blended latex

Thanks for any info. I am reading conflicting info on web from info I read here and other places. Appreciate feedback from users.
I have a natural N2 talalay 3" topper layer. I want a softer layer which I find should be probably ILD 14-19. I have read that the blended version may feel softer and conform slightly better that the non-blended Talalay, at the same ILD. Other review site says blended is generally firmer. I have read the atricles on this site regarding blendsd vs regular, but may have missed the particulr article that addresses this.

Any opinions on this? Thanks very much.

Hi Princess and Pea,

There is more about 100% natural Talalay vs blended Talalay in post #2 here.

If you had 2 different layers of the exact same ILD … 100% natural Talalay would be denser and have a higher compression modulus (how quickly a foam becomes firmer as you compress it more deeply) than synthetic latex so in the same ILD (and keep in mind that the ILD’s of the two you are comparing may not be exactly the same) the blended would generally feel a little bit softer and a little more pressure relieving than 100% natural which would be a little more supportive. There are many people who wouldn’t feel much difference in a 2" or 3" layer.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix…that is what I heard initially, but feel better with your confirmation. I checked with one of your sources in Phoenix, but they are out of the 3’’ blended Talalay. Do you have recommendations about getting that product. I have beeb searching for awhile today…several do not go to the lower ILD. I saw an econoline (e.c.o) on ebay, but the price was so much lower I was concerned, and they did not specify ILD or details about the blend.

Thanks again.

Hi Princess and Pea,

You can see some of the better sources for blended Talalay (either from Radium or from Latex International) in the component post here.

The E.C.O. latex you were probably looking at on ebay is a 20% natural / 80% synthetic blended Dunlop which is a much less costly version of latex and is the reason it has a lower price.

Phoenix

Still me.

Blended Talalay in a 2 " layer is not so easy to find. I went to Dreamfoam on Amazon, and they do not offer it. I found a site on Amazon offering 2" talalay which I deduced is blended, since they did not offer description. I asked and they simply stated it was a blend of botanical and synthetic. The Soft version is “55K” (?) and this is “by Latex Sleep Therapy”, though the seller response came from “Ultimate Sleep”.

I asked about seams, and they said -“no seams”. Huh? I thought both forms of Talalay were seamed due to process limitations.
They explained that they poured ‘overlapping layers’ which eliminates seams. Does this sound right, and if it is not Talalay process specifically, how would it change the product? I would be placing directly on natural 3" Talalay (N2).

I appreciate your assist. Although I have not yet purchased a product from your sources, I recommend your site and Dreamfoam to others as a starting point (because you said so, and because they have high reviews).

Honestly I have flipped, shifted and moved enough foam layers that I no longer feel like a princess…more like a stevedore.

Thanks again Phoenix

Hi Princess and Pea,

I forgot to link to the component post in my last reply and there are several good sources listed there. It’s corrected now.

You can see some comments about them in this topic. I would always make sure you know the type and blend of any latex you purchase because there are many merchants that don’t list the products they sell correctly and then people buy them thinking they are getting “a deal” when they aren’t. It’s not Talalay.

Different types of latex have a different “feel” and response and of course the firmness level and thickness along with the layers underneath will all make a difference in how a topper “feels”. I would also be aware that ILD comparisons aren’t likely to be accurate when you are comparing different types of latex. There is more about the difference in “feel” between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here.

Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to have more information that may be helpful in choosing a topper.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix

Thanks for your advice on the blended Talalay. I went with KTT and their 14 ILD was soft enough over the natural Talalay.

New question: I have the Bed Boss Heir ET, and have removed the 3" memory foam. We tried the bed, and there was not enough comfort for shoulders. The foam was easy to remove. Although it held together well, glue must have been sprayed. The memory foam pulled off evenly and did not tear. (By the way, the Bed Boss has a mattress zipper cover which has 1" of quilted memory foam. The cover is VERY nice and has some comfort to it.)

My question has to do with which foam to use to replace the 3" memory foam. The 7 inch ‘high resiliency’ poly foam base is quite firm. I am thinking that the best thing to use is a soft natural talalay, which hopefully keeps me off the base. (I am average weight). Does that sound right to you, or do you have another idea??

Thanks…and have a great Sunday!

Hi Princess and Pea,

You really have 3 options (memory foam, polyfoam, and latex) and the choice between them would be more of a preference choice than anything else.

I’m not clear why you removed the memory foam since you also could also have added a topper to your mattress but I understand from your previous posts that you’re not a fan of the feel of memory foam so that would give you a choice between polyfoam and latex.

It also seems like you prefer softer mattresses based on your comments as well.

This means that I would either use a softer version of polyfoam if cost is the main consideration or I would use latex if cost is less important because you seem to like the feel of softer latex.

As far as ILD and based on your feedback I would be tempted to go with a blended 19 ILD Talalay (which is a little softer than the N2 comfort layer in the mattress you were sleeping on that gave you some firmness issues) just to reduce the risk of feeling the transition between the comfort layer and the firmer support core. If that ends up being too firm for you then you can exchange it for a 14 ILD layer which is the next step down in firmness.

You could also try your current topper (which I understand is 2") to see how that feels and if the firmness of the support core isn’t “too bad” and you think that another inch would isolate you enough then you could start with 3" of 14 ILD and then switch it for a 19 if it’s too soft.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix…you gave me some really helpful ideas. And thanks for being so specific.