Boat mattresses

I want to build mattresses for my sailboat. Does anyone have advice and/or hints as to how to layer and select various types of foam for such a use?

I want to end up with 3 total inches of thickness.

Thank you.

Richey

Hi Richey,

there are too many variables, unknowns, and preferences involved and your question is too broad to give any specific suggestions without more specific criteria but there is a list of some manufacturers that are “experts” in marine mattresses in post #2 here that would be well worth talking to in more detail about your specific needs and preferences.

Since you don’t have much thickness to work with I would tend towards a single layer of foam of the type I preferred and I would tend towards foam that has a higher density and compression modulus (such as HR polyfoam or latex) so it can be softer with initial compression and then more supportive as you sink into it more deeply to keep you from bottoming out. I would also be cautious with using memory foam in a marine environment or in a mattress that thin. At most you would only have “room” for a separate 1" layer on top of a 2" firmer layer underneath if you wanted a different “feel” to the mattress than a single layer of a single material would provide but the combination that was best for you would depend on your personal preferences and your body type and sleeping style,.

Phoenix