Bob-o-pedic gel versus Ultimate Dreams 13" gel

Hi all, hope I am doing this right!

We are down to two choices and I am at the point of paralysis by analysis. My wife and I have tested so many mattresses I can’t even remember them all, but based on a budget we are down to the Bob-o-pedic gel at $1,299.00 and the Ultimate Dreams 13" gel at $967.96. I live 20 minutes from Bob’s so I nearly bought tonight but decided (of course) I should research a bit more. Based on a shaky memory, I believe we liked the Tempur-cloud Supreme quite a bit, it was probably our favorite, although also probably out of our price range. Any advice?

We are getting a king size and will probably get the Power Bob adjustable base to go with whatever mattress we decide on. Unless of course someone talks me out of a Power Bob! ($1,200.00 for the adjustable base alone) We do want an adjustable base.

Thanks in advance for your help, maybe someone can finally push me over the edge!

Hi Jerxa,

I would first make sure that you have the specific information you need about the Bob-O-Pedic to make an informed choice (specifically the thickness and density of all the layers). In my experience they are not particularly knowledgeable or transparent about their mattresses (see post #4 here) and I would make sure that they fit the memory foam guidelines in post #10 here (including CertiPur certification).

Dreamfoam of course is a member here which means I think very highly of them. They are open and transparent about the materials they use and are CertiPur certified and are among the best quality and value available although of course besides just quality and value your own confidence that a mattress matches your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is also an important part of any mattress choice.

I’m not familiar with the Bob-O-Pedic power base, its features, or who makes it but the adjustable bed thread here has some good information and has links to some of the sources that I use for “value comparisons”.

Phoenix

Thank you kindly for your quick response Phoenix. I have searched and looked for Bob’s specs and am not having much luck in finding specific details. The website says 4" High Density Gel Infused Bob-o-pedic Memory Foam with Air-Flow Ventilation. 2" Convoluted Air-wave High Resiliency Poly Foam. 6" High Resiliency Base Poly Foam.
If I am reading correctly, and I may not be, I need to determine the exact density of the foam and gel to get a better idea of the durability? And Bob’s bed is manufactured in China so the material may not be up to snuff? Bob’s gel bed has a 20 year non-prorated warranty.
Another question if I may, at Bob’s we can get the Bob-o-Pedic gel mattress and the Power Bob adjustable base for $2,199.00. We can also buy the Power Bob base for $1,200. I followed your link to adjustablebeds.org (THANK YOU!!!) and found the Reverie Deluxe for $1,748.00. We are not getting a split king mattress, we want the full size without breaking it up. I wonder what your personal thoughts are on which to go with? The power bob is wired, has two 6,000 motors, and just has a head, foot, and sync buttons. Obviously you know the Reverie. Is there a great benefit to getting the upgrades with it? The differences I see are it is split rather than one unit. Wireless remote, massage, and the pre-sets (my wife is curious about the zero gravity feature). How often do you use those features? I am trying to figure out if there is a benefit to paying the extra $500.
Thank you again, this site is really leading me to the Ultimate Dreams I think, although I am super nervous about getting a bed I have never laid on before and not being able to send it back…

Hi Jerxa,

Based on my experience that I linked in my last reply … it’s unlikely that you will find out any meaningful information about what is in their mattresses although maybe I just didn’t talk to the right people. The information they provide has nothing to do with the quality/durability of the materials they use … only the generic type.

This would be personal preference of course and each person may use different features more or less often but we use the zero gravity a fair bit (although you don’t need a specific button to raise the foot and head to the zero gravity position) and we also much prefer a wireless remote that can be put anywhere. We don’t use the massage a great deal although for some people that’s their favorite feature. We also like that the head on the Reverie raises a little higher than other models. Whether it’s worth it or not would really depend on how much you thought you would like or use the features once any novelty has worn off. It would probably be worth testing another model with more features to see how you felt about them because they are fairly widely available.

Again this would be a personal preference issue so each person would need to decide on the benefits of a split king mattress vs a single king for themselves. There would be some benefit with motion isolation and there would also be the benefit of being able to use each side somewhere else iin the room or in another room if it was needed but I personally don’t like the gap in between a split king mattress which may be important to some if they use the middle of the mattress or like to snuggle. The adjustable bed itself will be split (they don’t come in a single king size) but you can operate each side independently or synchronize them together.

The Ultimate Dreams is certainly a good quality/value choice but as you mentioned the risk involved with any online purchase and the options you have if you make the wrong choice are always part of each person’s personal value equation. There are also options available by Dreamfoam and others where you have the ability to change or exchange the mattress or individual layers if you need to after a purchase which can lower the risk of an online purchase. Testing local mattresses that may be similar (based on your conversations with them) so you can be more confident that the mattress is suitable for your needs and preferences can also lower the risk of an online purchase.

Phoenix

Thank you! I really appreciate all your responses!