Body Impressions?

Hello,

First off like so many people have already said, I want to thank you for this wonderful site. I would be absolutely lost without it.

I am trying to decide between two latex mattresses. They are Dreamfoam Freedom vs Flexus comfort 10 inch:

http://dreamfoambedding.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53
https://www.flexuscomfort.com/Natural-Comfort.html

These both appear to be very different mattresses, with the freedom being a Dunlop synthetic for 9 inches and 2 inches of cover that I understand to be a polyfoam cover (I inch on each side so it can be used on both sides). This is appealing due to the price and the versatility as my wife and I have different preferences. The second Mattress is 10 inch mattress, 6 inches of Dunlop with 3 inches of talaly (granted I could be convinced to save the extra 150 and go with 2 inches of talaly as I don’t know if there really Is a benefit for 1 inch). They claim to be 100% organic latex but are willing to make the talaly blended also to increase longevity. I do not particularly care about organic vs not, I care about getting a good night sleep as it is something I do not get lots of.

We both are average body weight (around 5’10, 180 myself, her less).

The reason I am posting (and not making a decision yet) is because while discussing with one of them I was told that after 6 months- 1 year all mattresses develop body impressions/sag somewhat, virtual or visible. The other person told me that their mattresses do not have problems at all with this, that their mattresses are warrantied for 30 years and that they are expected to last that long.

So to the point: Who is right? I do not believe that a mattress will last for 30 years. However I am surprised to hear someone claim that body impressions are normal? What do you think? Thanks!!!

Hi mfische2,

The choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference choice than anything else (although of course budget will play a role as well). There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is also more about the pros and cons of synthetic rubber vs natural rubber in post #2 here and how the “feel” of Dunlop compares to Talalay in post #7 here.

Synthetic latex is also less dense than natural latex so a synthetic Dunlop latex mattress will have a lower compression modulus (how quickly a foam becomes firmer as you sink into it more deeply) so you will sink into it more deeply than you would with the same ILD of natural Dunlop. It will also be less elastic than natural Dunlop.

Both are durable materials and there would be no obvious weak links in terms of durability in a mattress that used either one of them.

There will be some slight foam softening or slight impressions with all foam materials (including latex) over time so the sleeping surface won’t generally remain “pancake flat” and any quilting materials like wool or polyfoam can also develop some slight softening (in the case of polyfoam) or impressions (in the case of wool) as well but if they are good quality materials (like latex) then the softening or impressions will be very slight and not to the degree that it will have any meaningful effect on comfort or support (unlike the type or degree of foam softening or impressions that goes with lower quality materials such as lower density polyfoam or memory foam that is used in most mainstream mattresses). It certainly isn’t something I would be concerned about with latex.

Phoenix