Body weight - latex vs foam

Hi frankpentangeli,

It will be interesting to see what you discover :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Took a look at my “latex” mattress and here’s the information from the tag and label:

Serta Pure Comfort Serenity

Date of Manufacture: 11/18/09
Model: 820672 - 350
Prototype ID: M1

59% Polyurethane Foam
18% Polyester Fiber Batting
16% Latex Foam Rubber
7% Resin Fiber Pad

Sag noticed in mattress July of 2013, mattress inspected September 2013 and determined to be defective. Full credit given for faulty mattress.

Hi franktentangeli,

Thanks for sharing the information on the law tag.

As you can see the mattress has very little latex and is mostly polyfoam and synthetic fibers. latex is also much heavier than polyfoam so the latex content as a percentage of thickness would be even less than it’s percentage based on weight.

The law tag doesn’t show the thickness of the layers, the quality/density of the polyfoam, or how they are layered but the odds are that it’s lower density polyfoam and fiber in the comfort layers that are the cause of the impression issues. This really isn’t a latex mattress and depending on it’s construction may not even be what could reasonably be called a latex hybrid (where all or most of the comfort layers are latex).

You are fortunate that you received credit and that the amount of sagging was more than the warranty exclusion because this is not the norm and most warranty claims are denied. That’s the “good news” in all of this :slight_smile:

Phoenix

When the third party inspector came to look at the mattress his measurements came to 1" of sag and the warranty stated that we needed 1 1/2" so we were disappointed and thought that we were stuck with the sagging mattress but to our suprise we received a letter from Mattress Firm that said we were getting full credit. :woohoo: The inspector even said that the mattress was bad but he was hired just to take measurements…

Hi frankpentangeli,

I think you may be the first one I’ve heard of that actually received a warranty exchange with a sag that was less than the warranty exclusion.

I’d consider buying a lottery ticket as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’ll be completely satisfied when Monday comes around and the new mattress is delivered and the faulty one taken away…
:slight_smile: