Boiled My Mattress Search Down to 2 -- Need Help Differentiating!

First and foremost, I must give an IMMENSE thank you to Phoenix for what I can only imagine has been countless hours, days, weeks, and months to compile this information and create what’s today known as The (infamous) Mattress Underground. I will forever recommend this as a resource to anyone and everyone buying a mattress. Moreover, it is a sin of anyone that has educated themselves as I have using these pages and not donated even a little bit! You can do so here.

Anyways, having gone through this website, and then making (what I believe have been) all of the considerations I needed to, I’ve boiled my search down to these two mattresses:

Where I am stuck is in discerning what the core/key differences are between these options, and/or most importantly: what final remaining decisions I have yet to make in choosing between the two the one that is “best” for me. Price isn’t a factor, given how comparable they are.

If anyone has any ideas, I’m all ears!

Many thanks,
-Dan

Hi lvovxx,

Thanks for the kind words … and for the donation … I appreciate both of them :slight_smile:

You are certainly looking at some good quality/value options and neither one has any lower quality materials or weak links in the design so they would be closely comparable in terms of durability but there are a few differences between them that may make a difference for you.

Both of them use 100% natural Dunlop latex and have an organic cotton cover quilted with natural wool. The BioSleep contains 8" of latex (a 6" medium to firm core with a 2" softer comfort layer) while the Spindle contains 9" of latex (three 3" layers) so the cost of materials in the Spindle mattress would be higher (although the cost of materials wouldn’t be a factor in how well you sleep on a mattress so this is just for reference).

The BioSleep is a finished mattress with only a single firmness option while Spindle allows you to choose the firmness of each of the three individual layers so there are more options to customize the mattress in terms of PPP both before and after a purchase. There is more about about the pros and cons of a single 6" core vs two 3" cores in post #2 here and you can see the Spindle firmness and layering options here (click construction)

If for any reason the BioSleep doesn’t turn out to be as suitable a match for you as you hoped for when you actually sleep on it then Wayfair has a 100 day exchange policy which allows you to exchange the mattress for another one for a $99 fee (plus any price difference if the new mattress is more costly) but the value of the exchange policy would depend on whether there are any other mattresses that they carry that would be attractive to you and the overall value of the mattress you are exchanging for.

If for any reason the Spindle doesn’t turn out to be as suitable a match for you as you hoped for when you actually sleep on it then you would be able to rearrange the layers to fine tune the comfort and/or support of the mattress. If none of the combinations of the three layers works out well for you they also have a 365 day comfort adjustment that allows you to purchase a new layer with different firmness level for $150 (and you get to keep the old layer) so you would have 4 layers that you can use in different combinations to fine tune the mattress so that it’s the best possible match for you in terms of PPP. Having individual component layers also gives you the chance to replace just a single layer instead of a complete mattress if one of the layers softens and breaks down before the others (usually the softer top layer) or if your needs and preferences change down the road.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists.

Since the most important part of “value” is how well you will sleep on a mattress … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else. In many cases the knowledge, experience, and guidance of the retailer or manufacturer you are dealing with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

Wayfair doesn’t specialize in mattresses and their customer service representatives wouldn’t have any real expertise in helping their customers “match” their specific needs and preferences to a specific mattress (and the mattress can’t be customized anyway although you could choose a different mattress) but having said that you would also be able to talk with Christian who is the owner of Biosleep and he is much more knowledgeable (see post #34 here).

As you know Spindle is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, knowledge, transparency, and service so they would certainly be able to provide some good help and guidance based on their knowledge and experience to help you choose the initial combination of layers that would have the best chance of success for your body type and sleeping style both before and after a purchase.

The cost of the Versailles is $1249.07 (queen size because I don’t know what size you are considering) while the cost of the Spindle is $1349.99 (again in queen size) less the 5% TMU discount which would be $67.50 for a total of $1282.49 so the cost of the Versailles would be slightly lower.

Hopefully this will help you choose between them but if you are still undecided then if you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you are) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design relative to your body type (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a good choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks again, Phoenix – as usual, all fantastic advice. I spoke to the Spindle team earlier today on the phone (great suggestion) and felt solid about the decision to go with them. The 5% discount thanks to TMU didn’t hurt, either!

I will be sure to update this thread after the new mattress arrives (ETA ~1 week) with feedback and results.

Stay awesome,
-Dan

Hi lvovxx,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you did some very good research to narrow down your options to two good finalists and ended up making a great choice.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix