Boston Area (Or Online) Kids Mattress

This site is both a godsend and a curse. I need to buy a mattress for my two year old as we’re expecting baby #2 soon. The wife keeps asking if I’ve bought one yet and I keep researching and researching!

There’s so much information here (godsend) but I keep looking and looking at all the posts and get distracted by what other people are doing (curse). I’m close to pulling the trigger on a latex from mygreenmattress or sleepez. Was going to buy the kids mattress from mattress.net but they mentioned at least 3 weeks for it to be delivered.

Maybe that’s the case from any of the locations I’m looking at but I believe mygreenmattress and sleepez suggesting about a week. Before I go down that path, does anyone here know of similar mattresses to the “safer” latex mattresses ($600 range) or pure echo two sided in the Boston area that I could potentially pick up within a week?

I didnt want to sign up just to ask this but any help is greatly appreciated. And thank you all for the information and opinions shared!

EJ

Hi BostonEJ,

I’m not sure if you’ve read this already but just in case you haven’t there is a great deal of information in post #2 here and the topics it links to about mattresses and children and “suitable” and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which have more information about many good options which would be well worth considering (including all three of the options you mentioned).

As you probably know all three of these manufacturers are members of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a suitable mattress from any of them.

Delivery times can vary widely between different retailers or manufacturers and how busy they are, material availability, or other factors can also affect delivery times with the same retailer or manufacturer from time to time as well so the best source of reliable information about current delivery times would be a phone call or email to the retailer or manufacturer you are considering.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Boston area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria) are listed in post #2 here.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local or online lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which they are) and you have confirmed that none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design and would be a suitable firmness choice for a child, and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about the suitability of each one for your child, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials or mattresses (or different types and blends of latex), any options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix.

I am familiar with all the links you posted as I have been through this site for weeks about the same subject matter. :slight_smile:

Given the number of eyes this forums has on a daily basis, I was hoping someone in my area had a similar experience and could comment as well. On a side note, my wife is intent on providing a Montessori-Style bedroom which typically implies a mattress as close to the floor as possible or on the floor itself. Is it ok to put a latex mattress right on the floor without fear of circulation? Or, do you have any comments on using the ikea lonset slated bed base straight on the floor? That would allow us the ability to keep it elevated off the floor by an inch or two so air can pass underneath.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

EJ

Hi BostonEJ,

It’s generally a good idea to have some ventilation and airflow under any mattress because it can reduce the risk of moisture buildup and the mold, mildew, and dust mites that can go with it. Having a sleeping surface close to the floor may also increase exposure to dust particles or other allergens (particularly if it’s on a carpeted surface). For short term use if you leave your sheets and bedding off during the day and put it on its side to let it air out on a fairly regular basis you will probably be fine but I would probably put something like the bed rug here or a thin slat system such as here or the Lonset bed base you mentioned underneath it to add some airflow and reduce the risk.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your comments. I’ll likely be purchasing from sleepez or mygreenmattress by the end of the day. You, and this site, have been a great help.

Hi BostonEJ,

You are certainly looking at some great options and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Bought the Simple Sleep 7 from My Green Mattress on Amazon since the price is a little lower and we get 2 day shipping free with Prime. I didn’t see many comments about latex from My Green Mattress for kids. Mostly the Pure Echo.

I’m hoping the quality and good reviews translate to the mattress I’m getting. Wish me luck!

EJ

Hi BostonEJ,

Any latex mattress in a suitable firmness level (which it is) would certainly be a good choice for a child and the wool quilting will also provide a drier and more temperature regulating sleeping surface as well.

In other words I think you made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :).

The price looks like it’s only $5 less on Amazon but you also may not be eligible for the 5% discount for being a forum member here with an Amazon purchase so the final cost would probably be a little more from Amazon than if you order directly from My Green Mattress itself.

In any case … I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it.

Phoenix

Received the mattress today. Man is it heavy for a twin.

Opening it up and the little one jumped right on it. Seems as firm as the crib mattress we have which is good. We can always add a layer for softness in time.

I was concerned about potential smell and there really isnt much. You have to stick your nose in it to just smell the threading its encased it.

Overall, I’m happy and I just need to get a base and sheets. She’ll be in the new bed by the weekend. Thank you for your help and being a resource!

EJ

Hi BostonEJ,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix