Bought mattress need advice

Hi All,

I’m in a bit of a pickle. After doing quite a lot of research I ended up buying a Brooklyn Bedding Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam mattress via Wayfair as they had the best price. I based my decision on reviews that while soft it was quite supportive and also it’s similar construction to the Tempurpedic Cloud Elite which is one of my favorites while shopping for Mattresses at retail locations.

The bed arrived and I have it on a 5" low profile foundation. It’s reaaallly soft. I knew it was supposed to be soft and as a side sleeper I thought I’d made a wise choice but I feel like I’m constantly wanting to climb out of the position I’m in. I contacted Brooklyn Bedding thinking they’d want to help me out with an exchange for something firmer but even though it shipped from them they’re telling me I have to deal with Wayfair. That’s fair enough in that I wrongly assumed I’d be privy to BB’s return policy. I didn’t read the fine print. At the same time you’d think BB would want to do everything they can so I don’t return it as they’ll now be out a sale. So Wayfair says it’s not defective and that I have to pay to return it which I can’t imagine will be cheap.

So any advice? Would a firm topper on this mattress help balance it out or will I be in the same situation? Just trying to solve the problem and get some sleep :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Christopher_J,

The mattress you purchased is actually a Dreamfoam mattress rather a Brooklyn Bedding mattress although they are sister companies that are manufactured in the same Brooklyn Bedding factory. It would also be most similar to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe which is their softest mattress and not the Cloud Elite (see the information on their site here)

If you purchase a mattress from a particular store then you are subject to the return policy for that specific store because they are the ones you are dealing with and that you have paid for the product. For example if you purchase a Dreamfoam mattress on Amazon and it’s fulfilled by Amazon then you would be dealing with Amazon and not Dreamfoam and would be subject to the Amazon large items return policy (see post #11 here) and Dreamfoam wouldn’t be able to help you in that case either. If you had purchased your mattresses from the Dreamfoam site then you would have received a 10% discount and you would also have had the benefit of the Dreamfoam 45 day trial as well which would let you return the mattress for a cost of $99.

It would be the same with any product where the store where you purchase from is the one that receives your money and sets the terms and conditions for any return policy they provide … not the manufacturer of the product. The manufacturer is the one that deals with any warranty issues … not return policies.

While it’s very difficult to “firm up” a mattress that is too soft because you would normally need to remove the foam layers that are too soft and replace them with something firmer … there are some suggestions in post #4 here that may be helpful in some cases or for some people … at least on a partial or temporary basis.

The only other alternative I can think of would be to sell the mattress on Craigslist or to someone you know that may be looking for a softer mattress than you are.

It’s unfortunate that you hadn’t done a search on the site for “Dreamfoam Wayfair” because the results would have included post #2 here which would have cautioned you about purchasing from Wayfair before you made your purchase.

It’s always important to make sure you are comfortable with any exchange/return policy that is available to you with any online mattress purchase that you can’t test in person because this can be an important part of the “value” of an online mattress purchase and unfortunately this is something that needs to be part of your research you make a purchase.

Phoenix